Solved

Home internet Question

• 2 July 2023
  • 4 replies

Badge

I just got T-Mobile home internet yesterday! And so far it’s been excellent! We were getting speeds close to 400 mbs. Today that speed dropped to about 120 mbs. Is this a congestion thing? Or is something wrong? My signal is 5 bars, and excellent status. My previous ISP was 6 mbs so I’m not complaining by any means! I just don’t want anything to be wrong! Thanks so much for any information 

icon

Best answer by BobT 2 July 2023, 14:03

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Your speed test results are very dependent on network congestion.  My dowloads can vary from 40-500 mbps, so I think what you are experiencing is normal.  What band you are connected to (N41 versus N71) also plays a role, as does weather, but congestion IMO is the biggest factor.

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

T-Mobile Home Internet customers receive the same network prioritization as Heavy Data Users, As a result, you can expect slower speeds during network congestion, which will vary based upon your location. Those speeds are within the ex[expectations T-Mobile sets and is required to publish at:

https://www.t-mobile.com/responsibility/consumer-info/policies/internet-service

Badge

Your speed test results are very dependent on network congestion.  My dowloads can vary from 40-500 mbps, so I think what you are experiencing is normal.  What band you are connected to (N41 versus N71) also plays a role, as does weather, but congestion IMO is the biggest factor.

Is there a way to find out which band I am connected to at a given time? Or is that on T-Mobiles side?

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Is there a way to find out which band I am connected to at a given time? Or is that on T-Mobiles side?

Yes, the T-mobile Internet app has a tab for “advanced cellular metrics” and it will show what LTE and 5G bands you are connected to at any particular time.