Solved

Home internet Question

• 2 July 2023
  • 4 replies

Badge

I just got T-Mobile home internet yesterday! And so far it’s been excellent! We were getting speeds close to 400 mbs. Today that speed dropped to about 120 mbs. Is this a congestion thing? Or is something wrong? My signal is 5 bars, and excellent status. My previous ISP was 6 mbs so I’m not complaining by any means! I just don’t want anything to be wrong! Thanks so much for any information 

icon

Best answer by BobT 2 July 2023, 14:03

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

Your speed test results are very dependent on network congestion.  My dowloads can vary from 40-500 mbps, so I think what you are experiencing is normal.  What band you are connected to (N41 versus N71) also plays a role, as does weather, but congestion IMO is the biggest factor.

Is there a way to find out which band I am connected to at a given time? Or is that on T-Mobiles side?

Yes, the T-mobile Internet app has a tab for “advanced cellular metrics” and it will show what LTE and 5G bands you are connected to at any particular time.

Badge

Your speed test results are very dependent on network congestion.  My dowloads can vary from 40-500 mbps, so I think what you are experiencing is normal.  What band you are connected to (N41 versus N71) also plays a role, as does weather, but congestion IMO is the biggest factor.

Is there a way to find out which band I am connected to at a given time? Or is that on T-Mobiles side?

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

T-Mobile Home Internet customers receive the same network prioritization as Heavy Data Users, As a result, you can expect slower speeds during network congestion, which will vary based upon your location. Those speeds are within the ex[expectations T-Mobile sets and is required to publish at:

https://www.t-mobile.com/responsibility/consumer-info/policies/internet-service

Userlevel 4
Badge +4