Apple TV+ and Magenta 55+ Max

• 8 August 2023
  • 7 replies

Badge

I have Magenta 55+ Max which includes Apple TV+ ‘for free’.  I have been having trouble logging into it.  I  was told last night by Technical Support that it is only for T-Mobile customers to use on Apple Devices.  Below is the terms from the T-Mobile website about Apple TV+.  No where does it say it will not work on other devices.  Has anyone else experienced not being able to use it on appletv.com on a smart tv? 

Apple TV+ now included with Magenta® MAX.

Stream award-winning Apple Originals series and films all ad-free, and share with up to five family members on the same account, at no extra cost.

Receive Apple TV+ (up to $4.99/mo. value) while you maintain one qualifying Magenta Max line in good standing. Valid only for Apple TV+ in the United States. Complete registration with Apple in the Apple TV app; requires iTunes/Apple Media Services account. Terms and Apple Privacy Policy apply; see the applicable terms at https://www.apple.com/legal/internet-services/itunes/us/terms.html. Must be 13+. Only one offer per account; may take 1-2 bill cycles. Apple TV+ is a registered trademark of Apple Inc. Apple is not a sponsor of this promotion. Like all plans, features may change or be discontinued at any time; see T-Mobile Terms and Conditions at T-Mobile.com for details.

7 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

They told you wrong.  It will work on non-Apple streaming devices including Roku and Fire TV.  Did you download the Apple TV app to your smart TV?  (The app is called “Apple TV” not to be confused with the hardware that Apple sells, also called “Apple TV”, and not be confused with “Apple TV+” which is the service.)  Open the app and select Apple (logo) TV+.  It should prompt you to sign up or login.  If you have an Apple ID for your iPhone, etc. use that.  If you don’t have an Apple ID, it should let you create one; you might need to do this from your computer.  

Badge

Thanks, I do have an apple id and have logged into that.  When I look to Manage subscriptions.  Apple says I don’t have any subscriptions.  I’ll try to find the apple tv app to see if I can do what you suggest.  Really appreciate your help.

Badge

By the way, I do not have an iphone and on my smart tv (visio) it does not have apple tv as an option.

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

According to my search results (Bing Chat), at least some Vizio TVs support the Apple TV app.  Can you look again, or maybe check on a Vizio forum?  If your TV is old, you could add a Roku or Fire TV stick and open a new world of streaming services.  😃  

The Apple TV app is available on many devices. Here are some of the devices that support the Apple TV app 1:

• iPhone or iPod touch with iOS 12.3 or later
  • iPad with iPadOS
  • Mac running the macOS Catalina 10.15 software or later
  • Apple TV 4K or Apple TV HD with tvOS 12.3 or later
  • Third-generation Apple TV with the latest Apple TV software
  • Compatible smart TV sets from Samsung, LG, Sony and Vizio
  • Many game consoles, smart TVs, and other streaming devices also support the TV app.
  • Samsung, Roku, and Amazon Fire TV also support the TV app.
Userlevel 5
Badge +7

Fire TV Sticks are on sale at Amazon today, for $25 and $27.  You do not need to be a Prime member to use the Stick; it supports all the major streaming services.  Personally, I recommend Roku.  They are slightly more expensive from Amazon today ($30 to $49).  You can get either at Best Buy, Walmart, etc. and of course from Amazon.

Badge

Thank you so much for your help.  Turns out when I redeemed my TMobile offer, it created a new Apple ID for me.  The Apple Support person asked me to try and login using that apple id.  And low and behold that was the root cause.    So now it works just fine on all my non Apple devices.  Including my 60” plasma tv using my Xfinity platform.😀   Again, my sincere appreciation for your assistance and the info you provided will be very helpful as I migrate to a ‘smarter’ tv.

I already have Apple + subscription that I pay monthly...I am Magenta 55 + Max ...is the free subscription for new customers or can existing Apple + customers get a year free?