netflix update

• 4 January 2024
  • 29 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

Adding 2 screens, 1080p streaming but with ads is a major downgrade from 1 screen, 720p without ads. Adding ads makes it a complete worthless benefit because I won’t use it. So t-mobile is just actively making their service worse. 

29 replies

Userlevel 1

Adding 2 screens, 1080p streaming but with ads is a major downgrade from 1 screen, 720p without ads. Adding ads makes it a complete worthless benefit because I won’t use it. So t-mobile is just actively making their service worse. 

no one is forcing you to use their free to you Netflix..

It was part of the packaged price when changing over to netflix. I switched to tmobile paying more than my last carrier to have netflix built in.  Now just tried this new with ads and several programs are now locked only available without ad plans.  Tmobile added hulu which the price of hulu could still have given netflix standard no ads at the same rate. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Your rate plan is still the same. Add on pricing like Netflix can change if you look at the terms of the add on.

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

T-Mobile non-monetary value never changed. What changed was what Netflix charges. If you don't like the pricing Netflix charges then don't use Netflix or pay the difference of what T-Mobile is willing to cover. 

I do find it funny people are willing to pay more than the difference in 90% of cases by going to another carrier to stick it to T-Mobile for not covering more.  Personally with the plan I have I'd pay $65 more after taxes and fees. I dropped Netflix because I didn't agree with their price increase. 

NETFLIX UPDATE: I hope my hour this morning helps shed light to some of the confusion. I was ticked off about my Netflix plan change, the ads, but more about me now being blocked from content. I started a T-Mobile chat with customer service that led me needing to talk on the phone. My rep was kind but ignorant, that led me to a manager. ONE HOUR later I get clarification I hope helps you all. Netflix indeed made changes creating these 3 levels of plans. If you go on their website the top plan is $16/mo. Now that’s what most of us already had for YEARS (no ads, no blocked content)

T-Mobile obviously has side agreements with Netflix when T-Mobile offered to give us Netflix “for free”. We all know nothings free but rather it was build into our Magenta Max T-Mobile plan. T-Mobile was paying Netflix $6.99/mo for the standard (no ads no blocked content plan) Now Netflix has raised the agreed upon price with T-Mobile for that SAME STANDARD PLAN to $8.50/mo.

Most people are under the impression to get back their standard Netflix plan they must pay $8.50 ON TOP of the $6.99 they were already paying. And that’s exactly how the customer service rep explained it to me as well! THAT IS INCORRECT! 
T-Mobile used to pay $6.99/mo on our behalf. Now it’s costing T-Mobile $8.50 so they just kept everybody at the $6.99 but yes that’s now the lowest Netflix plan (ads & blocked content and 1 line) which pissed everyone off.

The manager put my Netflix account back to my old standard plan (2 lines, no ads, no blocked content) and explained my T-Mobile bill will only go up $1.51/mo. I still understand the change pissing people off, but I’m sure $1.51 more is something many are willing to be fine with than $8.50/mo more. I told him they need to send out customer emails explaining this better, not just we changed your plan and now it sucks. And they need to train customer service reps to explain this CORRECTLY so as not to waste hours on this crap. He agreed and planned to escalate that feedback. Now, should T-Mobile have just eaten the $1.51/mo… yes. Because many will just be pissed and leave T-Mobile due to lack of explanation and understanding. I didn’t enjoy arguing for an hour with an ignorant customer service rep on my Saturday morning but to me… it was the point. All that being said yes my bill will now be $1.51/mo more for my old Netflix plan back. However he gave me a one time $30 bill credit. Technically that’s like T-Mobile is covering the increase for the next 20 months. In the end it’s all petty to many but I hope this clears up what’s REALLY changing. Bc going back to your old Netflix plan should NOT increase your bill by $8.50/mo but rather just $1.51.

If you go on Netflix’s website clearly that standard plan is $16/mo, but that is NOT the agreed upon price for T-Mobile customers. It’s $8.50/mo.

so call T-Mobile to put you back on the standard plan, maybe ask for a $30 credit, and know after the credits gone your bill is really only $1.51/mo more.

Happy Saturday Netflixing the old ad-free way :-)))