No Free Lunch

• 18 February 2024
  • 5 replies

Badge

Do people really think the T-Mobile streaming benefits are FREE? They are built into the price of your monthly service, and if you like that particular service, great. But now that Netflix had downgraded its plans to include advertising, and more importantly, to lock out certain movies and shows on the Standard w/ads plan, why won’t T-Mobile give us a credit for the $6.99 cost we’ve been paying all along, so we can use that to get HBO, or one of the other services we like better? Otherwise, I will be switching providers to the one that installed a 5G tower next to my house and offers a bundled 5G internet and two line wireless deal that leaves a lot of money in my pocket. 

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

What happens when the next carrier changes their offers?

Badge

Keep moving to the next one. If you don’t change services, whether wireless, cable, streaming, banking etc. every three years, you are leaving money on the table. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Do you understand these offers are a loss leader to attract customers but once that loss leader starts costing too much money those loss leaders will stop or terms will be changed.

Any retailer or carrier can only absorb a certain amount of loss before something changes.

Badge

You seem to think I’m down on TM. Far from it--they are as good or better than other carriers we’ve had. My point is that they will lose customers by not offering options to drop a benefit that no longer has the value promised when the customer signed the contract. By the way, it is more likely this is a loss leader for Netflix, not TM. Netflix probably bills slightly less than the $6.99 and TM pockets the difference as a fee for delivering new Netflix subscribers. If the deal was a loss leader for TM, they would be begging us to take a bill credit and get off the plan. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Every carrier is cutting back on their offerings. Verizon is changing their auto-pay program buy taking away the discount for debit cards.

Tmobile doesn't pocket any money from facilitating the Netflix on us promo. I'd rather have a phone plan than have all these add on features.