Question

5G Home internet keeps dropping!

Show first post

82 replies

This started happening to me back in July.  I ultimately had to cancel my T-Mobile home Internet because it just wasn’t working for us.  It was nearly flawless for the first seven or eight months of service.  Easily over 300 Mbps for all of our (20+) devices.  It was a dream replacement for our cable Internet that was just getting more and more expensive.  However, no Internet just doesn’t work, so we replaced it with Verizon 4G LTE which is admittedly MUCH slower.  Slower, but reliable and always present.  That works for us.  I am very sad that T-Mobile quit on us.  It was great while it lasted.  I think that our usage got us bumped off.  We routinely used in excess of 1,600 Gb of data monthly.  Interestingly, though, during this time our phone’s 5G failed to provide Internet for us.  To get an Internet connection with our phones, we needed to downgrade to LTE.  5G would connect, but it wouldn’t provide ANY Internet access.  That is clearly unacceptable for a home Internet solution.

I am having the same trouble-do you think the transition to 5G in rural areas is a factor?

I got home from 10 days of vacation and found that my internet kept dropping out a few minutes after rebooting the router. When I connected a device directly via an ethernet cable the connection time was elongated by about an hour but still would fail. I have opened many service tickets regarding this with no correction. They tell me that they are working through the engineers to correct a software issue but I have found that it is still failing after three days of this continual reboot and use for a short period of time. At this point it fails immediately upon reboot. The device still says it is connected to the Internet although all connected devices to the Wi-Fi or ethernet port say there is no Internet. I am at the end of my rope  for how to get this resolved through technical support.

Badge

May have found a solution!, Forgive me for not knowing the technical terms. I too have experienced the speed and dropped connection. Worked great for first week or two, then 200 mbps would go to 3.0 mbps. My signal is good to very good. 

Today I moved the unit to the side of the house the tower is on knowing that I couldn’t receive a signal to the other side of the house, but then I remembered I had installed a Unifi access point about a year ago to connect to my Spectrum service. Fired it up and wow! Speed is 240mbps down, but then I went back to the unit and my phone lost the access point signal and connected direct to the T-Mobile unit. Speed test was 25 mbps. Obviously the problem is the WiFi inside of the unit. Try connecting to the Lan connection!

Also the signal strength is unchanged from where the unit was originally located.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

The problem may or may not be with the gateway. You will have to contact T-Mobile support and ask about the work on the equipment in the area. They could be working on the equipment for the cells in the area so it would be a tower problem. From what you can see the internet connection is not available therefore the cellular connection is a highly probable source of the problem.

One thing you can look at are notifications the gateway may have recorded so check for notifications via the LED screen. Another thing to try would be to power the gateway off and remove and reinsert the SIM card. If there is a problem with the SIM card, which some Arcadyan gateways seem to have, then this might help if it is related. That is why I would suggest to check the notifications for errors related to the SIM card. Reseating the SIM card will not hurt. If you have a T-Mobile phone and both tend to use the same cellular source that might be another clue. If your phone transitions to another cell when the gateway drops its cellular signal then it could be a tower equipment related problem. T-Mobile engineers might be performing work on the equipment in the area. T-Mobile does not appear to provide any customer notifications regarding work being performed on the equipment. 

I live in a tourist area where the summertime we get an influx of people. Same problem occurs. Drops all the time. First thing in morning works fine till people start getting up and using internet. Then it starts. I think the bandwidth just gets ate up causing the drop lines. T-mobile needs to put more towers out.

My connection was generally good until yesterday. Tech support have not been able to help, in part because my calls (through a T-Mobile MNVO keep getting dropped).  To me this suggests problems with the tower--but what do I know? One tech asked me to do a factory reset (no luck). Another tech on a subsequent call asked for my IMEI and said that they did something, though it didn’t work either. I just tested my Up/Down on OOKlA 18 Mbps down and 24 Mbps up.  

I am in the San Fernando Valley, so overheating could be an issue, but the problem began in the evening and when I had WiFi turned off via script.