5g home internet stuck on 4g

Badge

So I am using the 5g home internet and it worked flawlessly for about 10 days, it states now that it's just using 4g instead of the normal 5g. I have rest the 5g modem and rebooted it several times. 5g worked perfectly fine before has something changed with the 5g extended range. Btw I'm located in a rural area in TN. 

23 replies

Badge

I have the same problem - I’m in a semi rural area in Wisconsin. I replaced my gateway with a new one - same issue - and then bought a different model gateway off of eBay - same issue. 

The funny thing is….my phone gets great 5G coverage in my house, but my home internet gateways cannot hold a 5G signal, even when take outdoors…

AND, when I turned on the new gateway, the first time it powered up it acquired a 5G signal for a moment, then never again. 

T-Mobile says it’s “upgrading” the towers in the area.

I smell a rat, I think I’m being throttled.

Badge

I live in Atlanta. Had internet at 5G for well over a month. this morning flipped to 4G. my iphone is right next to the gateway with a full 5g signal. Sure appears that T moblie internet is not unlimited. natural they enforce caps after the 14 day trial period. Its ashame companies don’t provide services as advertised 

Badge

Same here. Live in rural East Texas. Very few internet options, other than satellite with its caps and cost. I signed up with T-Mobile home internet because the guys at the local store ‘assured’ me 5g is available. 3 months now. My phone, like some say, setting right beside (or anywhere in my property) the modem has full bars 5g and runs a speedtest of 34.8 download (yeah still crap right!?) but the modem has never connected 5g, 4 g only with download speed of 5.08. Piece of crap! Please come Elon Musk. Starlink- I need you! If I call customer support (because I go down all day often) they always, always, always, always… say- upgrading tower! I’m only with T-Mobile because it is better than nothing. But as soon as something better comes along- I’m jumping ship! 😭

I’m having the exact same issue… old router used to hold 5G signal fine, contacted support and got a new modem… 5G was fine for 1 day and then back to only 4G. Anyone ever get a fix for this?

Badge

I had great 5g connectivity for the first month. once the gateway updated to the 1.00.18 software, it no longer connects to 5g. I’m beginning to think this is intentional now.

I had great 5g connectivity for the first month. once the gateway updated to the 1.00.18 software, it no longer connects to 5g. I’m beginning to think this is intentional now.

I’m seeing similar reports on reddit… 

https://www.reddit.com/r/tmobileisp/comments/10o19g2/arcadyan_stuck_on_4glte/

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Call 611 and tell them your gateway no longer connects to 5G after firmware update.  They will open a ticket for engineering to fix it.  Took them a week to fix mine and I have 5G again since Monday. They should have done a better job of deployment since 1.00.18 has been going out for a few weeks now. Ask for a 1 mo service credit for the inconvenience.  :)

Call 611 and tell them your gateway no longer connects to 5G after firmware update.  They will open a ticket for engineering to fix it.  Took them a week to fix mine and I have 5G again since Monday. They should have done a better job of deployment since 1.00.18 has been going out for a few weeks now. Ask for a 1 mo service credit for the inconvenience.  :)

I’ll try to do that… I contacted support today and they said that it’s likely network congestion or something (which I find unlikely). I think I will try again and see if they are able to fix it.

UPDATE: I took my replacement modem to a local store to see if they could replace it... while there I decided to plug it in to see if it gets 4G or 5G... Of course they plug it in and it picks up the 5G signal... They noticed that my modem was somehow attached to the address on file for my parents (who are on my account) and wondered if that's why it's not picking up 5G at my house so they update the address. I got home and plug in the modem hoping it picks up the 5G signal (which it did fine before) and no luck... still on 4G. Tried multiple locations throughout my house and only 4G is getting picked up even though it used to get 5G just fine… UGHHH... 

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Do you have a TMO phone?  Is it getting 5G?  If so, tell that to customer service so they will actually look into the problem instead of the default deny/delay.  Also, demand service credit.  If they are not providing 5G, you should not be paying for 5G service.

Do you have a TMO phone?  Is it getting 5G?  If so, tell that to customer service so they will actually look into the problem instead of the default deny/delay.  Also, demand service credit.  If they are not providing 5G, you should not be paying for 5G service.

Yes, I get 5G on my phone everywhere in my house which is why this is even more puzzling.

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

See my first reply.  I think the ‘engineers’ have to add your SIM/device to the access list for 5G.  Dont forget to ask for service credit.

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Hm… lost 5G again.  OK, now I think this is what’s happening.  The Home Internet Gateway are allowed 5G only on one tower.  When that tower goes down, you lose 5G.

This conclusion was from talking to another rep this week who confirmed the tower closest to me (I know that tower) was down and is supposed to be up this week (explains why I got 5G back on Monday) and is probably down again (may explain why I lost 5G again) or this one tower’s 5G is too congested.

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Update, I moved my gateway to the corner of the house closest to the tower and got 5G back.

I just found out that my gateway displayed “4G”.  I just unplug it and plug it back again, and it becomes “5G”.  I do not why?  hope this does not happen frequently.  The speed in 4G is really much much slower.

Badge

I finally had a BRIEF connection to 5g again this time band n41, and lte when to b2 vs b71. speeds went back to 300down 105up… then the next morning noticed 35 down, 1.8up...looked in app and again no 5g connections, and lte back on b71.  I lost 5g connectivity over a month now.  I would be happy with LTE on b2.  Now it only locks on to LTE b71

Contacted T-Mobile tech support last night with the same issue and found no resolution.  Some of my web pages were slow to populate so I checked the browzer and found 4G.  My wireless printer connection failed as well.
How is your speed?

I have been using it for a long time with 300+ download and 100+ uploads. For the last 1 week the gateway is stuck at 4g. I read thru this thread mentioning tower issues. Anyone have a solution that is successful ?.

I am having the same issue. If it would just stay on 66 and 41 I am good. My phone never leaves 66. When the gateway gets on 71 4G it will not pick up 5G. I am thinking of disconnecting the low band antenna inside the gateway and wrapping it in electrical tape to try to force it to connect to 66 and 41.  Anyone tried that yet? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

I am having the same issue. If it would just stay on 66 and 41 I am good. My phone never leaves 66. When the gateway gets on 71 4G it will not pick up 5G. I am thinking of disconnecting the low band antenna inside the gateway and wrapping it in electrical tape to try to force it to connect to 66 and 41.  Anyone tried that yet? 

or try moving it to a different location. the tower youre pulling 71 from might not be on the same tower as the 66 and 41.

The way I resolved is by pulling out and reinserting the SIM. It has been running for couple of months now and no issues so far.

Im having the EXACT same issue, after 14 week trial BOOM 4g all the time when my phone and my wifes are 5g ULTRA all the time

Badge

sk2023..your suggestion worked like a charm.  Thanks.