5G Home Internet T-Mobile Gateway needs to be fixed. There are too many internet disconnections.

• 21 September 2021
  • 71 replies

Show first post

71 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

I don’t care wether you agree with me or not. You don’t know what I’ve done and you really shouldn’t be assuming you know more than I do as far as what I’ve been through. T-Mobile internet doesn’t  work and there’s plenty of complaints about their service. And I’m paying the same price for my new internet as I was paying for T-mobile internet, and it works. So for you to assume I’m paying three times the amount as t-mobile internet is an ignorant assumption. Because you’re WRONG. But it sounds like you don’t like being wrong, you just like assuming something you know nothing about. 

Aren't you gone now no longer a customer why are you here?

Oh wait, T-mobile internet was consistent. CONSISTENTLY BAD!  
for 007bondM16, your a troll who probably works for T-mobile.  Best decision I ever made was getting rid of T-mobile internet and going with a RELIABLE internet service for the exact same price!!!!

I don't work for TM and not a troll if you took the time to read post I give out help info but then again ppl have to want to recieve help.

There is one huge diff with your cable that your short sightedness where my view is long term. TMHI is $50 per month lifetime I am sure you did not get that from any cable company. So soon your bill will go  up same old thing that happens with cable over and over the deal never last long.

As noted by others some it works some it does not bottom line if you work at it you can get it to work. But to each his own you gave up that’s fine as the gateway you returned there is someone waiting to receive it. But come back next year tell us what your cable bill went up to we all will still be at $50 with no data cap. Oh and it’s not personal I just am 100% sure it can work in your location but as I have said many times this is not a take out of the box place on table plug in and it works product. You have to find the right location and maybe even install an antenna that part TM fails at informing customers.

But do post the term your cable co gave you I bet it is a year maybe 2 tops then you pay them full price.

If your stuff is working, why are you on the forums harassing people who are having problems?  You’re not being helpful.  Saying “If you work at it you can get it to work” is such a strawman argument.  You don’t think everyone on here hasn’t been working at it?  Everyone is literally living in a different location.  T-Mobile wants to put a box in everyones home if possible, but they are giving priority to mobile users.  That’s why a 5 bar connection on a trashcan can equal .25 mbs down while a 5g phone right beside it gets 100+mbs.  It’s not science, and you are being a troll.  Absolutely no one cares that it is working for you.

Userlevel 1

I've had t mobile going on a year now and I'm sick and tired of their BS excuses. The service is the worse its ever been I'm leaving them with the home internet next month and going with an actual wifi carrier. Plan on keeping my phone service because I'm getting 1 of their devices to boost my cell signal strength but if that doesn't work I'll leave them altogether. I have hundreds of dollars in Call of Duty Mobile and their service just keeps screwing me bad. Just 1 example. I will not ever recommend T mobile to anyone ever again. It's the worst service I've ever had in my life and it just keeps getting worse so screw it. 

Userlevel 2
Badge

Yes. So many reporting the same issue, and when you call them, they seem surprised (oh no!). 

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

My home internet drops randomly every few days, but the speed is so slow when it is connected I cannot get above 15 downloading and I live in a sprawling metropolis that they claim to have reign over. So my question is, what’s the deal? My cell phone has outstanding service and hotspot but the stupid can can’t handle more than one device connected to it at a time, which basically makes streaming video almost impossible. It buffers every minute or so. It’s ridiculous. 

It sounds like you have two problems, stability and slow speed. There are some people with the slower connections, and 15 is pretty slow, who have a steady speed, but many don’t. That means if your speed is fluctuating, it could be going down to 1 or less and not allowing video streaming, at least not any HD streaming, let alone 4K. The latter requires a connection of 20Mbps or more.

Sprawling metropolis isn’t always good, depending on what is between you and the tower. Since I see this is one of your first posts, have you tried putting your gateway in different locations and orientations in your house? The best location is in a window facing the T mobile tower you are nearest.

Most people do not know where their tower is and that’s okay. So then you have to try putting the gateway in a variety of different places, restarting it each time with the button on the side, and doing a speed test, so you can see if you can get your speed up over 100.

You can test your equipment by taking the gateway to another person’s house, and see how your speed is there. Just don’t use it for very long, because you’re just supposed to use it in one location. But if you got a good speed elsewhere, you’d know it’s something about your location, not the gateway.

The higher up the gateway is placed, often that is the fastest connection, but sometimes the wifi doesn’t work well if you are too far from the gateway with your computer. But if you’re in a multi-story building, it helps to be on an upper floor, with the better sight-lines to a tower, and the closer to a tower, the better.

Do a search on YouTube for your city name and T mobile home internet and see if there are any users reporting the speeds they get. Maybe you’ll find someone in your area.

Cities sometimes have their towers limited in a direction they are broadcasting, like 40 degrees instead of 360 degrees, as they might be in a rural area. They limit their transmission angles because of signal conflicts with other providers. If your house happens to be in some kind of dead zone, it’s just unlucky.

Get back to us if your speed improves and good luck with it.

A few months ago power cycling the TMHI box would get us back to something reasonably exciting (~200/25), but for the past month that only works about 30% of the time, and even then it doesn’t last very long before I’m seeing speeds down in the 1Mbps range.  Seriously!  Still connected, but at the speed of a dialup modem.  

What is interesting is that my iPhone 13 hotspot will consistently deliver over 300Mbs with vastly better ping rates.

Poking around on the net suggests that the Arcadyan kvd21 firmware is crap. 

Hi, I am not a tmobile employee, I dont own stock. I am a retired electronics tech.

I welcome the option. 

For internet and tv, I have been stuck with comcast and there lies for years. During one complaint call about comcast pirate pricing, the customer service manager said, “well you can use someone else if you want.” THERE WAS NO OPTIONS. I seriously wanted to petition the government to break them up, because comcast didnt have any real competition where I live, just one cable to my house, thats it.  

You all need to remember that a few years ago we were talking on a phone hanging on the wall, The tech that All the cell providers are rolling out is Amazing,

My Kid games on it

Dont serve websites with this

My kid has this new device in his room, He games on it, so it cant be to bad. acceptable lag and can download Gigabye size games,  If your serving websites, this is not for you. 

It is what it is.

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

Also post your signal readings it’s a good indicator I have used it to understand the best spot.

As you can see I have no secondary signal as I noted I have located my can where 4G is best. My readings are not that great and tower is half mile away reasonably clear shot.

RSRP -97 dBm Not really great almost the edge.

SNR 12 dB actually good leads to a more stable signal.

RSRQ -9 dB again not to bad.

RSSI -68 dBm again not to bad.

It will stay up for weeks and weeks like this not so fast on the 4G but way more reliable then the dropping 5G.

Sure some will say but you are paying for 5G yea true but I was just so sick of Comcast it’s felt so good to tell them to take this cable modem and shove it.

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

We’re switching back to SPECTRUM. I don’t want to support their services but at least they’re better by far in the reliability of their service. 

I thought of something which might be helpful to you or other users of Spectrum. From reading posts on this board, Spectrum offers returning customers a $50/month price for one year for going back to them. I’ve read of at least two people getting this. You have to have called up and cancelled your service with them to get this deal.

And another guy, who was paying $130/month for 150Mbps service from Spectrum, when he called them up to cancel their service, they offered him a special price of $20/month for one year, if he kept their service. He was new to Tmobile at the time, and not sure if it was going to be good enough for him,  so he took them up on the deal.

Incidentally, this is a standard practice with all internet providers, that when you call to cancel their service after having been a customer for years, they will offer you a discount to “keep them as a backup,” or stay with them instead of leaving.

So my advice to you is when you call up, do not say, “Tmobile was a disaster and I’m crawling back to you so you can charge us outrageous re-connection fees” or whatever, but instead just say you’re considering switching to Tmobile, although you will consider staying with Spectrum if offered a good incentive to do so. They will give you a deal. None of these companies want to lose customers.

After we canceled Comcast they offered me $29 per month for 2 years.

But as always with Comcast it’s never what it seems. Yes true it is $29 per month, but plus $14 if you need to rent a modem, plus if you don't want the data cap that’s $30 extra per month. So the only way to get $29 is you have your own modem (I actually do) and you can deal with the data limit. Issue is the data limit, with 2 people working from home, mother in law streams Netflix from 9 am till 10 pm, kids online, we will go over. Always when I do the math with Comcast the price is just to much even with the best of the best deal and other issue is that never last more than a year or two.

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

Sure some will say but you are paying for 5G yea true but I was just so sick of Comcast it’s felt so good to tell them to take this cable modem and shove it.

The readings on my 4G of the 4G/5G signal pair I get are very similar to yours. I never get lower than -100 on the RSRP on either signal, but also rarely get higher than -90 or so, my best reading.

Once I got an SNR of 1 dB on the 5G band, which I thought was terrible, but it didn’t seem to affect my connection.

Of course, with the gateway in some other less optimal places, I can get an RSRP of less than -120.

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

After we canceled Comcast they offered me $29 per month for 2 years.

But as always with Comcast it’s never what it seems. Yes true it is $29 per month, but plus $14 if you need to rent a modem, plus if you don't want the data cap that’s $30 extra per month. So the only way to get $29 is you have your own modem (I actually do) and you can deal with the data limit. Issue is the data limit, with 2 people working from home, mother in law streams Netflix from 9 am till 10 pm, kids online, we will go over. Always when I do the math with Comcast the price is just to much even with the best of the best deal and other issue is that never last more than a year or two.

Good for people to know this. That data limit can be a huge snag for large families or any big data consumer. Then there’s the other elements of no taxes, no fees, no price raising after a year, no modem/router rental -- I could hardly believe they were offering it at $50/month.

With CenturyLink DSL, 12 years ago the price I was paying for such a slow speed seemed reasonable, but when speeds of everyone else went up so much, it got ridiculous when they’d raise my price and I’d call them up to talk it down. It happened three times, but still I hated having to do it.

A friend of mine had Comcast and didn’t like that his service kept dropping, but finally they installed some new model modem which cut down the service calls for him. And of course, they kept raising his prices.

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

The readings on my 4G of the 4G/5G signal pair I get are very similar to yours. I never get lower than -100 on the RSRP on either signal, but also rarely get higher than -90 or so, my best reading.

Once I got an SNR of 1 dB on the 5G band, which I thought was terrible, but it didn’t seem to affect my connection.

Of course, with the gateway in some other less optimal places, I can get an RSRP of less than -120.

When my 5G is connected the SNR is 0-2 so I can see why it drops off and stays off. But the rest of the readings are actually ok just the SNR is crap. So seems just to much 5G noise in the area and it cannot stay out of the grass.

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

UPDATE: The replacement (not new) gateway arrived and I installed it. It went a day, then no internet. Went two days, then no internet, did that for about a week. Then three times yesterday no internet. I called support this morning to tell them the replacement gateway did NOT fix my no internet problems. The tech asked me how far my devices were from the gateway. I said anywhere from 10’ to 30’. He says it can’t be further than 6’ when using the SSID 9 5GHz band. Oh really! Sounds like BS to me. He told me 5 times that he was an expert. I told him I would connect all my devices to 2.4GHz and turn off 5GHz, and then the next time I have not internet I will call back. OMG, this is so sad.

Badge

My advice is watch what you wish for.

My original can was clearly new I got good speeds no issues. They pushed FW to it one night and it got stuck in a boot loop. Replacement unit was clearly used and did not work it said RF failure. Next replacement unit again clear it was used worked but has never seen the speeds of the first unit.

Worse is all this shipping took a week and a half so I was down for over a week waiting on replacements.

Current unit is what I would call slow but steady. It gets 75 ish down 20 ish up and knock on wood just stays up days and days with no interuptions.

Now funny my home a few weeks ago and when I ordered months ago was listed as a Ultra 5G covered area. Now I noticed just this week that only my home is now listed as Extended 5G while all my neighbors are Ultra 5G. Now my can just does not hold a 5G signal so maybe they keeps stats and update the map based on customers results. When I boot my unit it will get B66 and n71 speeds will be same 75ish so it’s clear the can is not using the 5G. After a few hours the 5G will just go away and all I have is the primary B66 and there is where it will stay for days and days.

So even though I am a half mile from the tower and 2 miles from a n41 that my phone gets no issue my can never sees them. I am sure the first can did as first can had downloads in the 500+ range. I just don't want to rock the boat as what I have works and my wife and me can work from home all day no interruptions while mother in law streams Netflix all day.

Am I tempted to complain for a new can in hopes I can get back my 500+ yes but not sure I want to take the chance on getting a crap unit.

Other thing is I see cans for sale on ebay and other sites I wonder if they are ok to buy as I did not think TM sold them for ppl to even be selling them. I did see one for $40 I was tempted to grab it for testing.

SAME SAME SAME i kept pushing to keep the first non-refurbished Gateway too, begrudgingly returned it last week along with the second one in hopes that the Texas based tech who was being super helpful was going to solve this issue once and for all with the engineering ticket. No dice. I’m currently suffering and reading this makes me wish I didn’t return my original can. Also writing this on my iPad which is on IPhones MAXUP hotspot added in by one of the many techs I spoke with over the past month - issue began around august. 29 week after delivery of initial can and calling in to ask about the FW update. 

Also to note OP’s speeds were 500+ On first can, mine only ever reached 150+. I’ve done the whole she-bang; walked around house, 2nd floor, now its in the guest house in the back facing the tower - has its own personal fan and outlet. I live in ultra 5G area - had the 4G LTE router without much issues - I’m going to ask to switch back to it as ive been working from 10 pm to 3 am every day since the new gateway arrived and i get speeds of 130+  during this time. But as soon as morning hits, I’m watching YouTube at 8:30 and can visually see the quality go from 4K to Unable to Stream. Speeds go down to 0.3 and I’m on MAXUP 100 GB hotspot right now. Which is great but not for my zoom meetings hence it is not a permanent solution. Ive currently set it to auto bandwidth on all SSIDs and channel 6 for 2.4 in order to have at least a connection even if its 1 mbps or less. What gives? Congestion in the area was noted by engineers on my ticket - but this congestion appeared after I upgraded to the can? My area is a private residential neighborhood with mainly only Spectrum. T-Mobile is fantastic out here - has been till this can. Really this can seems to be the issue. Either that or they have to update their towers to connect to these cans unless they are throttling us somewhere else for upgrading our 4G LTE routers to the 5G cans.

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

T-Mobile support is very nice, but every one of them I have spoken with has told me that their solution would solve all of my (connection) problems. I too was ecstatic to say bye bye to Comcast. Gets real old  when they say a price increase is a price “adjustment”.

I think we all agree, disconnections are a problem that needs to be fixed.

Having similar issues here as well. EXTREMELY FRUSTRATING to say the least. I have my gateway connected to a power strip with an on/off switch and just switch off then on again. That seems to cause the unit to restart and wifi is back on in minutes.  It sucks but it seems to work so far.

I think we all agree, disconnections are a problem that needs to be fixed.

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

UPDATE: The replacement (not new) gateway arrived and I installed it. It went a day, then no internet. Went two days, then no internet, did that for about a week. Then three times yesterday no internet. I called support this morning to tell them the replacement gateway did NOT fix my no internet problems. The tech asked me how far my devices were from the gateway. I said anywhere from 10’ to 30’. He says it can’t be further than 6’ when using the SSID 9 5GHz band. Oh really! Sounds like BS to me. He told me 5 times that he was an expert. I told him I would connect all my devices to 2.4GHz and turn off 5GHz, and then the next time I have not internet I will call back. OMG, this is so sad.

Welcome to T-mobile, this is what were all getting

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

How it is going?

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

How it is going?

1-½ days no restart YET. 2.4GHz is way slower than the 5GHz. Such BS that I’m told not to use the 5GHz band. If that truly is the problem, then I say T-Mobile needs to use a different gateway. Oh wait, I already think that.

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

Might not be an option for you but you may want to try turning off the built-in WiFi router in the T-Mobile Gateway. Try using an external WiFi router connected to the T-Mobile Gateway via ethernet cable.

From what I read on these forums, the built-in WiFi router in the T-Mobile Gateway isn’t as good / reliable as an external dedicated WiFi router. Not only does it raise the operating temp of the T-Mobile Gateway, but it also has issues with poor WiFi routing performance (i.e. disconnects, weak WiFi signal, etc.).

How do I turn of the built-in WiFi?

Badge

Accessing the TMO gateway via the browser (192.168.12.1), go to Network --> WiFi Networks --> 2.4GHz. From there, disable the SSID and disable the broadcast options. Click Save. Repeat these steps for every SSID in the 2.4GHz drop down list. Do the same for the 5GHz SSID list.

After you do the steps above, go to Statistics - WLAN, it should say there:

2.4GHz WLAN Connection Disabled

5GHz WLAN Connection Disabled

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

How it is going?

1-½ days no restart YET. 2.4GHz is way slower than the 5GHz. Such BS that I’m told not to use the 5GHz band. If that truly is the problem, then I say T-Mobile needs to use a different gateway. Oh wait, I already think that.

It’s a shame as the built in wifi is wifi 6 so it’s actually quite good and just the can covers more than one would expect. That said it does not cover my whole home so I have the Google wifi with 3 pods. I have turned off the internal wifi on the can. I know you don't want to hear this but maybe try turning off the cans wife and just go for something else. I know you should not have to but depends on overall justification. For me TMHI is much less cost over Comcast so me spending some upfront money seems worth it. After all I have oh maybe $225 invested in the external antenna but worth every penny. That jumped me from 75/25 to 650/125 speeds and this would cost me even more if I had Comcast.

Userlevel 5
Badge +3

Since the 1609 firmware update, which I was told would fix everything (haha), now I am restarting the gateway three times a day rather than three times a week. This is so sad. So today I figured I would factory reset the gateway. I did, and all was good for one hour, then no internet. Darn T-Mobile get this fixed.

Badge

I’ve had my T-Mobile gateway home internet for a few months and had nothing but problems. First week it worked then it stopped connecting and I had to reset the gateway tower every day because I was only getting 4 Mbps. Customer service didn’t know what they were doing, couldn’t fix ANYTHING! They sent me a new gateway tower. It stopped working all together after high winds. I was given excuses by their outsourced support staff that engineers were working on it. Super obnoxious fluctuations in speed. Worst decision I ever made was trying the gateway home internet offered by T-Mobile. They need to fix the problems before offering to their customers. Clearly they do not have a handle on it. Now I’m two weeks with out internet because of them. Do yourself a favor and avoid headaches, don’t go with T-Mobile Gateway home internet. IT DOESN’T WORK!

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

I’ve had my T-Mobile gateway home internet for a few months and had nothing but problems. First week it worked then it stopped connecting and I had to reset the gateway tower every day because I was only getting 4 Mbps. Customer service didn’t know what they were doing, couldn’t fix ANYTHING! They sent me a new gateway tower. It stopped working all together after high winds. I was given excuses by their outsourced support staff that engineers were working on it. Super obnoxious fluctuations in speed. Worst decision I ever made was trying the gateway home internet offered by T-Mobile. They need to fix the problems before offering to their customers. Clearly they do not have a handle on it. Now I’m two weeks with out internet because of them. Do yourself a favor and avoid headaches, don’t go with T-Mobile Gateway home internet. IT DOESN’T WORK!

I had some issues but like anything new you have to work things out sometimes. I am very happy now and would never go back to cable.

To each his own there are many happy customers it works different in different areas just like cell phones don't work in every spot.

Badge

Um, I’ve spent hours trying to “work things out” and I’m fully aware how to try and fix issues. T-Mobile couldn’t even fix the issues. So T-Mobile home internet doesn’t work. I’m going with a different internet provider that actually works and I don’t have to spend ALL of my free time on the phone with customer support.