Question

5g internet fast on phone but slow on Computer

• 1 June 2022
  • 8 replies

Badge

i recently got the T mobile 5g Internet yesterday, at first opening up my phone is experiencing around 70-70 Mbps, upon my computer which i just installed ethernet into, im getting around 15-20 Mbps. 

not what i paid for, called customer support but they themselved had no idea what they were dealing with. they could barely understand what i am saying. 

8 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

A couple things to consider:

• Your phone and your 5G gateway may show same signal strength but just connected to different LTE and 5G bands which would show different bandwidth.
  • TMO has made it clear - Home internet gateways get lower cell tower priority than cell phones.
Badge

the only issue is tho, other ppl get around 100- 200 mbps, my area was told to have up to 200mbps, tried hooking up on wifi too, checked speeds again on phone and wifi to compare, now both are getting around 20-30 MBPS 

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

the only issue is tho, other ppl get around 100- 200 mbps, my area was told to have up to 200mbps, tried hooking up on wifi too, checked speeds again on phone and wifi to compare, now both are getting around 20-30 MBPS 

Go into your TMO gateway mobile app and paste the screens of the advanced cell metrics so we can see what your signal quality looks like.

Badge

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

That looks pretty solid and should give you upwards to 100-200 mbps. Give TMO support a call to see what’s happening on the tower end because your gateway looks pretty good.

Same problem. My phone is running speed tests at 160mbps download and my pc is running them at 8mbps. The computer is new and is running windows 11. Tried multiple things. Nothing has worked. I'm running the tests in the same room of the house.

Badge

Move your gateway around your house.  The app told me to aim it towards one of the nearest towers.  I did and placed it near a window.  Download speeds weren’t horrible, 100-220 mbps.  Uploads were around 20 mbps.  Pings were around 50.  Not bad, but I was considering purchasing an external antenna from Waveform and decided to check values around my house.  Moved the gateway to another bedroom that didn’t have an accessible window.  Aimed it in the general direction of the tower, but through a wall.  The main screen shows excellent signal, but my 5g specs are only good to poor.  But now I’m getting 400-500 mbps downloads, 80-100 mbps uploads and pings 20-30.  Can only imagine what I’d be getting with an outside mounted antenna.

Thanks. Turned out I forgot to plug in the antenna into the pc. It's rocking now.