Question

Acessing existing router and other devices on network

• 1 September 2023
  • 6 replies

Badge

My system seems to be working fine in that all of the devices on my home network seem to be able to access the internet.  That said, I am unable to access my home router from my laptop, both devices are connected to the T-Mobile gateway via ethernet cables.  I can ping the router from my laptop, however, when I try to access the router via a web browser by entering the IP Address, I can’t make a connection.  Additionally, I am unable to see any of my home networked devices from my laptop.  My home router is using 192.168.12.104 ad its IP Address.  My laptop’s IP Address is: 192.168.12.236 and the DNS Server is 192.168.12.1.

I suspect that the issue has something to do with how the home router is configured and that the new T-Mobile gateway is somehow configured differently than the previous cable modem.  My entire house is hardwired with ethernet cables and connected to centralized routers and switches.  The primary router connects all of the wired (ethernet) and wireless (WIFI) devices together on a household network and the old cable modem was located next to the router and connected via ethernet.

Since the T-Mobile gateway requires line of sight locating, I have the device located in my home office next to a window and am using the ethernet connection in that room to connect the gateway with the router.  However, since that connection uses the ethernet connection that I was previously using for my laptop, I have now connected my laptop directly to the T-Mobile gateway, using the 2nd ethernet port.

My question is how do I connect my laptop to my router so that I have visability to the home network and all of the devices on the home network (particularly, the network printer)?  Everything worked great together when connected to the old cable modem.  I’m sure that this issue can all be corrected somehow, but I need some assistance for what settings to change.

6 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

@206-369-5787 what make and model of router do you have? Were you able to access your router with your prior internet service provider? Have you tried to “reset” the router? 

Just to confirm your home network looks like this: laptop > router > T-Mobile gateway ?

Your router does not care who your internet service provider/gateway is. It only detects internet access. 

My question is how do I connect my laptop to my router so that I have visability to the home network and all of the devices on the home network (particularly, the network printer)? ?  - The answer might be in the above suggestions. 

Let us know what you find. 

Badge

Thr Router is a TP-Link Archer C2300.   The home network looks like this:  Home networked devices > Router > T-Mobile Gateway (ethernet cable).  Laptop is connected:  Laptop > T-mobile Gateway (ethernet cable) (using both ethernet ports on the gateway).  The Router is using one of the gateway’s ethernet ports and the Laptop is using the other. The router is located in a networking closet and is ethernet connected through in-wall cabling and is actually located two floors below the gateway. The laptop is located 5’ from the gateway. I would like for the Laptop to be connected on the home network and to have visibility to all of the connected devices on the network.  I don’t know how to do this when going through the T-Mobile gateway and would like instructions.

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

@206-369-5787 you need to make sure your laptop is getting internet access through your Archer router. 

Can your laptop connect to the router via Wi-Fi?

Can you connect the laptop to the router via Ethernet cable? 

To test the connection, take an Ethernet cable and plug it into your router. Reboot the laptop and confirm you have internet access. Your resolution may look something like this setup. You may need to install another Ethernet cable from upstairs to downstairs? 

Badge

I appreciate your response but that answer doesn’t solve my problem.  My laptop and T-mobile gateway are two floors away from the router and supplimentary switches for all of my ethernet connections.  I only have one Cat5e cable running through ther walls from the network closet to the office where the laptop and gateway are located.  Previously, when I was using cable for internet, my laptop was connected via ethernet, to the router through that in-wall cat5e cable.  Now the T-moble gateway uses that single cat5e cable to connect to the router two floors below.  Because the t-mobile gateway is now using the cat5e cable connection to the router, I have lost the ethernet connection to my laptop.  My current solution is to connect my laptop directly to the t-Mobile gateway via cat5e cable an using the 2nd ethernet (RJ45) port at the back of the gateway.  

My issue is that the T-moble Gateway is not acting like a switch and is not allowing me to access my router and home networked devices.  Is there a way to configure the T-Mobile gateway so that it acts like a network switch and allows for one connected device to have visibility and access to another connected device, when both devices are connected to the gateway by ethernet (hardwired devices)?    I prefer not to use wifi connections for my computers when connected to my home network.

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

@206-369-5787  “Is there a way to configure the T-Mobile gateway so that it acts like a network switch…?”  I’m afraid that’s not possible.  My destop PC is closer to my TMO gateway than it is to my router, and I too like to be connected to my network by Ethernet cable rather than wirelessly, but I had to run the ethernet cable from my PC to my router much further away and not to the gateway closer by. The TMO gateway, of course, is also connected to the router by an Ethernet cable.

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

@206-369-5787 

My issue is that the T-moblie Gateway is not acting like a switch and is not allowing me to access my router and home networked devices.  - True, the gateway is just a dumb gateway, providing the user access (or a gateway to the T-Mobile cellular network). 

Is there a way to configure the T-Mobile gateway so that it acts like a network switch and allows for one connected device to have visibility and access to another connected device, when both devices are connected to the gateway by ethernet (hardwired devices)?  - No, this is where you need a router to move traffic between devices. 

I prefer not to use wifi connections for my computers when connected to my home network.” - Then you need a take the time to install cat5 cables between your router (they usually have 4-5 cat5 ports) and where your devices will be used (upstairs or downstairs). 

I hope this helps.