Question

Adding ethernet to wifi adapters, will not connect to internet

• 26 March 2024
  • 5 replies

Badge

Hello,

I have the 5G Home Internet Gateway G4AR that is up and running.  I’m trying to connect another network device in a different room that does not have wifi capability (ethernet port only).  I purchased a Netgear AC1200 WiFi Range Extender as well as a BrosTrend Ethernet to WiFi Adapter to try out, since I don’t have any ethernet hardwire running through my house.  I ran both devices through their setup and am able to see them in the list of available WiFi devices, but neither one of them are connecting to the internet.  Any ideas how I can get the G4AR to pass internet access to the Netgear and BrosTrend devices?  Thanks in advance.

Drew

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

@copz1998 any thoughts?

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

@drewM310 , make sure your WiFi router is set to bridge mode. Otherwise devices will disconnect because of double-NAT. Make sure the cable from gateway to the WiFi router is plugged into the WiFi router WAN port. Reboot both and retest. 

Badge

@copz1998 & @gramps28 thanks for the assistance so far...much appreciated!

Here are the two adapters I’m trying to connect wirelessly to the G4AR gateway.  In the setups for both, they didn’t mention a “bridge mode” but I did set it to the option that was NOT “Access Point” mode.

The plan:  Put each one in a room where I have equipment that doesn’t have wifi capability.  I would run an ethernet cable from the equipment to the ethernet port on the side of the adapter.

Solved so far:  I can connect via wifi to both of these adapters to get them configured and ready to go.

Issue:  When I try to do the final step of connecting them via wifi to the G4AR gateway, the gateway refuses the connection request.  With the Netgear adapter (on the right), the gateway rejects the login (I’ve triple-checked that I’m entering the correct network password for the gateway).  With the BrosTrend adapter (on the left), I get a “successful connection” message in the UI, but when I refresh status it shows a broken connection to the gateway and internet.

My guess:  The G4AR for some reason is refusing to allow these adapters to connect to it.

I’m just about all out of ideas at this point.  If I can’t get this solved, my next step is to go to powerline ethernet adapters (which have worked for me in the past).

Hopefully someone can help me get these adapters connected to the gateway.

Thanks,

Drew

Badge

Update:  I found a plug-and-play easy solution by using powerline adapters (which I once used 10+ years ago and were solidly reliable).  Too bad I couldn't get the WiFi Ethernet adapters to work.  This is the one I'm using, and plan to buy more.  Hope this info helps others.

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

@drewM310 thanks for sharing!