Solved

Arcadyan gateway: am I connected to 5G or LTE?

• 31 January 2023
  • 9 replies

Badge

I have the Arcadyan internet gateway. Using the T-mobile Internet app (iOs), in the “advanced cellular metrics” section, I see tabs for both LTE and 5G. Both tabs have SINR, BAND, etc info. Does this mean the gateway is connected to both 5G and LTE? Or does the box choose the ‘best signal’ between LTE and 5G?

The LTE tab shows the cell tower ID (CGI), but the 5G tab does not show a cell tower id. Does this mean that both LTE and 5G are coming from the tower listed on the LTE tab?

thx! still learning….

icon

Best answer by litewavve 2 February 2023, 02:31

View original

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

it will flip flop between whichever connection is better..so in your case if its showing you connected to LTE and not 5G that 4G LTE connection there is the strongest..or at least at that time..do you by chance have a  phone with TMO as well? if yes what connection is it showing?

someone that can explain it a lot better than i can.

@iTinkeralot 

Badge

@tinker....thx, I do have a tmo phone. It shows I’m connected with LTE, and connected to the same cellid tower as my gateway. I do see that the 5G tab is ‘empty’ sometimes on the gateway app (advanced cell metrics).

My download speeds increase by ~2x  (~10mbs => ~20mbs) when the 5G data shows up on the app, but it’s not always there.  I’m wondering if I should try an external antenna, but I’m not excited about possibly damaging the gateway when opening it up. I hear it’s a $400 fee.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

which phone do you have? is it 5G capable or just 4G?

Badge

@fire….iphone7, just 4G

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

There is an indicator at the top left corner on the home page (connection status) of the LCD display on the gateway box itself. It is not available through the App.

Badge

mine showed info/stats for both lte and 5G.  however after the latest firmware update, the 5G side is now all blank.  The LTE side shows rsrp and sinr as good. however speeds have dropped drastically now to 30down 1.4up.  Don’t know if disabling the 5G side was intentional with the update but it no longer connects.  had the service for just over a month.

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

mine showed info/stats for both lte and 5G.  however after the latest firmware update, the 5G side is now all blank.  The LTE side shows rsrp and sinr as good. however speeds have dropped drastically now to 30down 1.4up.  Don’t know if disabling the 5G side was intentional with the update but it no longer connects.  had the service for just over a month.

I call 611 and they claim there is a local tower issue.  Let’s see, firmware update and it suddenly is not working right, must be tower issue.  Consider calling in and have them send you a new gateway.  If it is the Arcaydia again, at least it will be on 1.00.16 and working until they push 1.00.18 to it again.

Badge

@litewavve: thanks! That’s what I needed to know.

I have the same issue that started this week. Standing next to my gateway, my phone gets 5guc and download speeds over 200mbs. The gateway is showing 4g and showing blanks on the 5g tab. Factory reset with no improvement. Firmware is 1.0.0.18, I am not sure when it updates, but agree it is not a tower issue if my phone works.