Question

Arcadyan KVD21 5G which connectors for 5G external antenna

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

Recently, I moved from Comcast Xfinity Internet to T-Mobile. Like many of you I have seen videos and read articles on how to attach an external antenna. I have a 2X2 Proxicast MIMO antenna, however, there is some question as to which connection to use on the Arcadyan Gateway. Currently, I am using M and M1 connections. I mounted the antenna in the rafters (2-story house) aiming toward the T-Mobile cell tower. 

My cell metrics did not change much. 

5G -RSRP -92 with antenna, -93 without; RSRQ -6, -7 without; SINR 16, 8 without  

What are you using and do you have a different experience? 

Thanks!

27 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

If you have a 2x2 MIMO Antenna Kit, disconnect the cables for ports M and D, but leave ports M1 and M2 connected internally.

See the guide from Waveform. Be very careful the U.Fl connectors are delicate and can be broken easily. If you break one they can be bought cheaply but take a bit of care to replace or a Franklin out of the back pocket.

I would guess the Proxicast antenna should be able to leverage the same connectors. I do not know for sure as I don’t have the Arcadyan to test with. Results may vary. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

Thanks iTinkeralot. I had been using the recommendations from Nader Tader, but I will try these now and report on the findings. 

Thanks!

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Best of luck. Hopefully the Proxicast will work the same or similar to the one Waveform sells. If you are receiving the n71 frequency the 2x2 should help. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Keep in mind to try to improve the SINR and avoid noise. Leverage your home to shield the antenna from unwanted RF if necessary. Improved RSRQ should improve performance. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

The results are in - I messed up and crushed the D connector so I am finished. I will stick with my original (working) connections. 

Thanks for your help!

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Previous user had damaged one as well. He found a local guy that fixed his for $70. The U.Fl connectors can be purchased on Amazon pretty cheap. If you have soldering skills it is fairly simple to fix but means removing the board to do the repair. The man that fixed his also put the antenna dongles on for him. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Your original cellular metrics with the antenna were not improving the reception. Not sure what connectors you were using with the antenna in the original configuration. Sorry to hear of the misfortune. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

Hi all, an update: I moved my antenna in the rafts closer to the T-Mobile n41 cell site and my RSRQ and RSRP got better, but my SINR is horrible. I show 4 bars (almost 5) on my T-Mobile app. 

RSRQ -8

RSRP -86

SINR 4

Question - what can one do to improve the SINR? I am doing google searches for how to improve SINR and alike with negative results. My speeds are not good, which is in large part to my poor SINR ratio. 

Any suggestions much appreciated! 

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

If you are receiving the n41 frequency the 4X4 MIMO antenna solution will be able to utilize the bandwidth from the signal. The research I did seemed to suggest the 4X4 MIMO for millimeter frequency so I don’t know if that may have a bearing on the behavior or not.  There does appear to be noise but reducing the exposure may be tricky. Previously you posted results with the antenna in use with much better SINR so if you can better leverage the house as a shield to the noise it will improve. You didn’t post any Speedtest results. Are you seeing packet loss or excessive jitter? 

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

I can find one Reddit post where the guy is using a 2X2 MIMO antenna with n41 so the 4x4 is maybe not a must have. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

Thanks a bunch, iTinkeralot,

I somehow missed the 2x2 vs 4x4 perspective. I know that I am about 1-1.5 niles straight line from my tower so I thought a 2x2 would be fine. I did not consider the bandwidth perspective. 

I will attach a screenshots from Ookla results. In the mornings and late evenings, results are always better. 

I will shop for a 4x4 antenna probably from Proxicast. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

Here is a Ookla screenshot with the Jitter. Geez, If I got these results all the time I wouldn't complain. But, by 8-9 am, downloads will drop to 30-45 Mbps.

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

Some of my T-Mobile metrics show my low SINR, which seems to go up/down based on the time of day. Late night and early mornings my SINR will go up to 9. It would be helpful to have a guide available in the form of a checklist for customers - here are steps you can take to improve your SINR (and things that impact the metrics). 

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

If you can get the cellular metrics in more detail understanding just what is going on might help a bit more. The speeds in the history are pretty inconsistent. Do you have the metrics for both the 4G & 5G signals such as the band and the bandwidth in MHz for them? I suspect in some of the cells if the bandwidth is less than 20 MHz and user load/demand is higher that contributes to less bandwidth per user session. Then it is more critical to have a clean signal to prevent packet loss that will result in retransmissions. 
Use cellmapper.net to confirm the locations of other towers/cells in the area as you consider antenna placement in relation to the tower you are using. Here I know there is noise from other RF sources towers the west/northwest. I have my gateway in a window with northeast exposure to get the signal from the tower that is due north just because the signal is cleaner than using the north facing window. Results are better so I know using the house as a shield can help. The other obscure issue can also be with reflected signals. Cellular signals seem to be subject to multiple external factors so it is tricky at times to avoid issues. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

I am using Cellmapper and did locate my n41 tower and b66 LTE tower. I just realized that maybe I am bouncing back-forth between n41 and b66? With the T-Mobile app I am unaware of how I can get more cell metrics, unless its through a 3rd party app? I will attach a few more screenshots which may be helpful. Thanks! 

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

Here is the n41 map, which shows the towers farther north from my location. Is there a definitive way to tell which signal I am receiving or tied to? My T-Mobile app shows I can either be on n41 5G or b66 LTE.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Expand the details for the specific cells on the tower. On the left select details. There is a bit more you can see once you have the PCI for the cell. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

With the speed test results you last posted I agree it would be no problem but I an guessing it is somewhat due to user load and the backhaul routers. The signal noise is probably due to the volume of RF in the area. I would guess if you look for ATT and Verizon towers you would see lots of cells in that area. The noise could be from some type of industrial facility or emergency responder transmissions and such. 
You can set a preferred source vs allowing Speedtest.net to just go out and determine an “optimal” target to use for the testing. Then you have a reference so to speak. If you have not gone into the Ookia advanced settings and set them I suggest you do. The more you see the more you know. Also run fast.com tests as well. Free tools. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

I did not ask but are you using a MIMO panel antenna or a MIMO log periodic antenna? The log periodic is a more narrow directional and good for line of sight which might help improve gain and prevent unwanted noise. It depends upon the location and possible obstructions due to trees, buildings and such. Lots to consider. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

If you haven’t reviewed Waveform’s guide for the T-Mobile Arcadyan gateway you really should. They have a very good guide. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

You can try this: http://192.168.12.1/TMI/v1/gateway?get=all

It will report information about the gateway config and operation. The Arcadyan specific. Nater Tater had used the command via the web browser but I have not seen the reporting for some time.

With the newest code on the Arcadyan gateway it is supposed to provide more cellular metric information. Currently you might be limited to using the mobile application on it. I know the web access for admin is not working for the newest firmware. It bugs me that the Arcadyan has such poor configuration with T-Mobile’s access methods. It is a poor solution in my opinion. 

You need to find the PCI physical cell identifier value for the 4G LTE and 5G signals to be able to confirm the respective tower that has the cell delivering the signal the gateway is locked onto at the time.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Regarding n41 and b66. The n41 is the 5G which T-Mobile will leverage for the download flow. The b66 is the 4G LTE and is commonly used for the upload traffic. So you would notice, if you could see it, that the gateway maintains two signals. The primary signal is the 4G LTE signal b66 and the secondary signal will be the 5G signal n41 in your case. The gateway really needs both to work the way they intend it to work. It is NOT a pure 5G solution with T-Mobile. 

The link below renders the page that has the bands T-Mobile uses for each signal “type”.

https://www.t-mobile.com/support/coverage/t-mobile-network

i am working on putting a 2x2 antenna on my gateway, pretty technical and an EE.

My 4/5G small antenna has sma labels MAIN and AUX on them, which ones do these go to on the D and M connectors?

Amazon has some low costs options for those in condo’s and homes without the need for a roof mounted system, literally like 25 bucks for the pigtail connectors and antenna.

This is the (2 pack) pigtails:https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08G57DD33

This is a 4G but not sure if it works with 5G, will test: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07K143JS5/

This is a omni 4G/5G: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0B9J2MHTB/

Let me know if anyone can help me with the connection labels.

Joe

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

You might check out Nater Tater’s YouTube videos on the antenna addition. I am more familiar with the Nokia gateway and the waveform external MIMO antennas. I believe his videos focus on those both 2x2 and 4x4 MIMO. To take full advantage of the n41 mid band frequency a 4x4 MIMO is really needed. I do know Waveform.com has some excellent documentation for the gateway break down and the antenna additions. You might have to experiment with the connections a bit if it is not clearly documented in a way that makes sense for that antenna. One thing to be extra, extra careful about is making the connections to those u.fl connectors. They are tiny, delicate and easy to break. If you break one they are not too difficult to replace but just need the tools and the connectors which also can be bought online. 

Without any documentation I can’t say which connections to make. I believe Nate has also covered the Sagemcon as well as the Arcadyan gateways. The Nokia he went over before those. The information from Waveform is excellent.

The good thing is you can connect the pig tails and then just swap the SMA’s so you dont have to install anything but once.. I have to look up the technical specs to see which connection is for what frequency.

2x2 is what i need, cause no one makes a small 4x4 that i can find, or am i wrong?

the issue i see is a 4x4 is a price to pay, so lowest cost 4x4 for the home is 150USD

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0B8MZSCF5/

Unless someone else has something better.