Question

Atlanta Tower 5G Upgrades?

• 19 December 2022
  • 1 reply

Badge

I have home internet. It’s been working great for months, 5G, full signal.

My signal started dropping to 4G 3 bars, total crap! The connection to the internet is not workable for the home internet gateway, .51 MPS download and 5.75 MPS upload: pretty much a dead connection.

When I call T Mobile and get to the group dealing with towers, same story they claim the tower is being upgraded (since every November??). The tower has been 5G for many months prior to these drops in service, used to work great. 

T Mobile is not transparent on this problem and I am questioning whether they are telling the truth about the upgrades. There is no upgrade schedule or map to either confirm or deny their activity. Very suspicious. 

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

I have been with the T-Mobile home internet solution since January of 2021. I joined at the tail end of the BETA period. When I joined the 5G signal we received was from an n71 cell. Our home is in a rural location and the tower is 5.3 miles away. I figured I was stuck on n71 like until the next big thing. Well, low an behold about a month ago maybe a little more, there were repeated disruptions off and on for about a week at least. There was an n41 cell that surfaced here and there and the n71 returned. Then the first of the next week the n41 signal just returned. I never expected to see an upgrade to n41 but well it happened. So, it is quite possible they are adding n41 cells and of course they do maintenance and upgrades whenever they want with no advanced notice. I have never seen any sort of notification about such activity and it is as you say NOT transparent. So, that seems pretty much how it is. Maybe you will be lucky and fortunate enough to also see an n41 surface. Strange things do happen.