Question

Connecting HP Printer to 5G Gateway without WPS

• 21 December 2022
  • 3 replies

Badge

My HP Printer connects to the Internet by pressing on the WPS Button which does not exist on my new 5G Gateway.  

Any work around solution?

3 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

If you set up another router with WPS with the same SSID/pwd, sync it, then turn the router off and turn on your internet gateway and you printer should be connected.  You are effectively using the other router to program the printer via wps.

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

Why go to all the trouble of adding a router? WPS is just an automated way to bind the printer with the network. Any HP printer can use DHCP and get an address automatically from the T-Mobile gateway. Go through configuration settings on the HP and in the network section, change it to DHCP.

You also have the option of letting the printer get an address via DHCP, then make a note of what the address is: 192.168.12.x, then enter that address in the printer’s network settings along with the subnet mask of 255.255.255.0. The router IP will be 192.168.12.1. That setup will lock the HP into a set IP address. The advantage of a set address is that you will always know the IP of the printer and be able to get to it's web page for settings or information on inks or toner.

If it sounds complicated, it's not, and should only take you a minute or two. Good luck with your new T-Mobile Home Network.

I connected my HP printer by uninstalling the HP Smart app from my PC then reinstalling. It searched and found the printer and added to my network. Wondering if I could’ve skipped the step of uninstalling and just delete the printer. But, afterwards, it showed on the network on the TMobile app and I was able to connect the printer to other devices.