Question

Constant large download fails

• 22 August 2022
  • 8 replies

Badge

We just switched to Tmo 5G last. We have the current trashcan style model. It’s been mostly decent and sometimes incredibly fast, but we have one constant irritation.

Any download over a gig or 2 will fail every single time. My wife and I both work from home and occasionally work with large files and this is a no-go and completely frustrating. I have a Win11 pc and she has 2 macbooks, I even tested on a ps5. They all fail after 1-2 gb.

Does anyone know why this is? And if there is anything that can be done. I’ve searched through other questions but can’t find anything.

EDIT: We are using the 5ghz connection for these devices and have very good to excellent signal on the gateway. LTE and 5G cellular metrics usually show good to excellent also.

UPDATE: I just switched the PS5 to wired for testing. I thought this would circumvent the issue, but it failed around 5gb. I may have to go back to Xfinity.

8 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

I had a problem one time several months ago. Someone had sent me a couple links to a couple of 5GB folders. I can’t remember if they were from Dropbox or box.com or somewhere else. Every time I tried to download either of the entire folders (compressed to a zip file) it would download the full 5GB and then say “lost internet connection”. I ended up having to download it in pieces (individual files and subfolders) and that worked. I haven’t had an issue since, but I’m not sure if I’ve downloaded anything that large of late.

Your issue sounds different though as it’s cutting out in the middle of the download instead of at the end. I assume you’re having issues downloading different files from different locations/servers.

I doubt it’s the problem, but the only thing I can think of is that it’s a heat issue. Do you have a fan you could try pointing at the gateway? I have the Nokia gateway which some had mentioned had heat problems, so like others, I added a 120mm USB fan to make sure it stays cool. I don’t recall anyone mentioning a heat problem with the Arcadyan though.

Badge

Thanks. I’ll try that to see if it helps.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Can’t say that I’ve hit this issue (Arcadyn gateway)

curl https://yum.oracle.com/ISOS/OracleLinux/OL9/u0/x86_64/OracleLinux-R9-U0-x86_64-dvd.iso -O

% Total    % Received % Xferd  Average Speed   Time    Time     Time  Current

Dload  Upload   Total   Spent    Left  Speed

100 8688M  100 8688M    0     0  7974k      0  0:18:35  0:18:35 --:--:-- 4167k

Badge

I had a decent little desk fan blowing at it and it doesn’t seem to help. I could buy a couple 120mm fans and mount one at the bottom and one at the top for better airflow. But I think it’s fundamentally some issue with the gateway or service. It gets warm, but I wouldn’t say hot.

I do run a small fan under the trash can powered by the trashcan USB C port. I’ve had it since the start and the ambient temperature in the house stays at 75. I also have done large downloads with windows updates and MacBook updates without an issue. The one difference is probably that I run another router for the WiFi and bandwidth management and disable the WiFi in the trashcan  so my trashcan might run cooler since it doesn’t use the WiFi.

For trouble shooting if you have another WiFi router you can set it up with the same WiFi settings and, SSID name and password and let the trashcan cool down then try the download again. 
If it works then you can say for sure the the trashcan you have is over heating. 
Or turn off your WiFi on the can and let it cool down and try the download with the cable. 
if it’s overheating that way and the WiFi is turning off and resetting during the download maybe TMO can swap your can for one of the other gateways they have now? I think one has a fan built into it also.

Badge

Fans and swapping for a stand alone router didn’t work. Overnight it made my PS5 brick by failing an update. Done with tmo internet. Going back to Comcast, kicking and dragging my feet.

Had the same exact issue. Had a good connection and got fast speeds on tests and streamed fast. Soon as I tried to download a game on xbox it would cut the internet off after 30 seconds to a minute. Switch back to medicom. Not a single person from. T mobile could fix the issue. I honestly don't think they even listed to me when telling the issue. 

First three days of trial it was great…started last night doing nothing but buffering… I really truly want to get away from xfinity to save money but am definitely not willing to deal with this…not sure what the problem may be, it’s frustrating