Question

Extremely Slow and Unusable Speeds

• 5 August 2022
  • 5 replies

Badge

Despite 4/5 bar connection and proper placement of the router, we frequently experience very slow internet speeds. Sometimes the speeds are fast, so I know it’s possible, but most of the time the speeds are so slow that the internet is completely unusable.   A recent speed test showed download speeds of 0.05 Mbps with upload speed of 24.65 Mbps. 

Customer service has been unhelpful despite multiple calls and tickets. They have sent a new router which didn’t help and for months I’m told there is “maintenance on the towers”. I’m guessing that’s their catch-all excuse since I doubt maintenance and upgrades have been happening for the past year. 

Is there anything I can do to help this situation or is this just the service we should expect from T Mobile?

5 replies

I'm sorry to say, but I think this is just the nature of wireless Internet service. We've had TMHI for a year and a half and third party ATT service before that and had the same experience. The fine print in the TMHI service terms says customers may experience slower speeds during periods of congestion. I think this is because our data gets lower priority than mobile customers. We live in the country and don't have many good options, so we're stuck with it for now.

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

being in a rural area also hits you guys since not all bands of LTE are used..so the more powerful bands used for building penetration etc wont be used in rural areas which kind of sucks...

Badge

Speeds just continue to get worse to the point where websites barely load and videos and audio don’t load at all. T-Mobile is glad to take our money but doesn’t provide usable service in return. Not sure what to do. 

The towers in your service area are getting saturated.  T-Mobile is not going to help you.  Tech Support will keep opening tickets for engineering and engineering will keep saying there is no problem.  The true “solution” is for T-mobile to upgrade their towers and add to the network bandwidth that the towers need to accommodate devices.  However none of that is going to happen in the short term.

My advice: Do what I did, dump 5G home internet, get a 4G home wireless router, and buy an AT&T unlimited 4G sim off Ebay.  It will cost you about $100 a month but the speeds are decent and you don’t have to worry about T-mobile nonsense.

Badge

Your speeds are exactly what we use to get. Blazing fast when I first got the service and now you can't even use it. I will have to cancel the service if this continues as it's unusable