Question

Gateway shows wrong location

• 30 August 2022
  • 6 replies

Badge

My Gateway wi-fi shows itself as located in Orlando, FL. But I live In Louisiana. It has done this since we set it up last March. All devices using the home network (TV, IPhones, computers) also display this Orlando location whenever online. Orlando’s zip code is always pre-populated in online forms. Also, if I attempt a local call on my iPhone, I get an error message that I must dial the area code first! Because it thinks I’m calling from Florida to Louisiana!

I can’t get anyone with TMobile either thru Chat or email to address the issue, they ask if I have a screen capture of the problem, so no one has been able to fix it. Very frustrating. Any ideas?

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

Per another location conversation:

It has to do with the backhaul routing and the T-Mobile infrastructure. There may be other “location” related postings but hopefully this is helpful for your needs.

CaliCat posted the response:

“This is how cellular internet works just like a cell phone. The local towers connect to a backend that could be a long distance from your physical location. As for YoutubeTV, you just update your location using your YoutubeTV mobile app and it will use the GPS of your smartphone to identify location. I assume you are trying to set the location on a streaming device so just follow the onscreen instructions that tell you to open the mobile app. I have both TMO Home internet and YoutubeTV and using the YoutubeTV mobile app to pinpoint location works fine.”

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

Your IP address is not supposed to imply your location but some folks used the fact that it sometimes does to make a WAG based on IP address. It’s just one example of bad programming at work. Ignore it and move on.

Per another location conversation:

It has to do with the backhaul routing and the T-Mobile infrastructure. There may be other “location” related postings but hopefully this is helpful for your needs.

CaliCat posted the response:

“This is how cellular internet works just like a cell phone. The local towers connect to a backend that could be a long distance from your physical location. As for YoutubeTV, you just update your location using your YoutubeTV mobile app and it will use the GPS of your smartphone to identify location. I assume you are trying to set the location on a streaming device so just follow the onscreen instructions that tell you to open the mobile app. I have both TMO Home internet and YoutubeTV and using the YoutubeTV mobile app to pinpoint location works fine.”

No VPN or such, just a simple NAT connection to the Internet behind the appt. router. Did consider an Access Point setup but then I see every thing connected to the appt. router. Security keeps me out of course.

When the IT guys get back in good health I will see what they say but if security is not effected all this may well be "just one of those things".

I am really impressed that your responses came so quickly. Thank you again.

I have the same issue. Does anyone know if it affects internet speed bc I swear ever since my server changed to New York (I live in central California, and my previous server was in Sacramento Ca) my ping has been horrible and my down/upload dropped two times its original speed

Badge

I'm having the same problems too. My problem happens streaming live TV. I'm in the Wichita, Kansas area and I get Oklahoma City locals. Ifyou call early enough you can get the techs that speak English without a accent. I've talked to the local techs and they say nothing can be done about it. It's prompted me to install a antenna so I can watch local channels. We didn't have that problem with Cox internet.

Badge

I’ve had the same issue for 2 years. I’m shown in Minnesota and I’m in Iowa. What’s frustrating is, when I google a item I’m looking for, it will bring that item up in Minnesota so I have to manually change it. Also, I get email messages from my bank, Amazon, Pay pal and Facebook asking if it was me who logged in. Additionally last month it showed me in Miami FL.. What’s the deal?