Question

Home Internet discount bundle.

• 21 February 2023
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

I’m on ATT for everything. I’m on the 15 day Home Internet trial.  Great speed.  350 to 450 vs ATT DSL of 25, for $ 75. Thinking of switching everything to T Mobile.  

Am I better off with the $ 55 Price Lock or taking the $ 30 plan with phone lines?  The T&C says the discounted rate cannot be combined with other offers such as price lock, taxes and fees included.  My price lock $ 50 (soon $ 55, after CC autopay discount is eliminated).  Looks like the $ 30 discounted plan is better in the short run.  

The best 5 year decision?

5 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

If you are happy with your speeds and performance of ATT for $75, I would stay. I would not quibble for $25. That said, you can “try” the 15-day process to see if you are happy with the results. If you are not happy, just cancel it. 

Good luck!

Badge

We have had no trouble with T-Mobile, customer for 10 years.  When TMI became available in this area we thought about it for a few months (i.e., did nothing), but decided to try the 10 day trial.  After one week we cancelled our cable company and are using TMI.  The download speeds (for us) were usually equal or better than our cable, upload speeds were a bit slower, but for what we are doing we really don’t see a quality difference.  I say usually because we occasionally go some slow tested download speeds, but still didn’t see a difference in quality of service.

The T-Mobile “price lock” is a real thing.  We only recently changed our plan because our son moved out and got his own line.  Previously we had the plan we signed onto at the beginning.  The price never varied and we liked it.  We got a better deal than we had before with the same service going with one of their geezer plans (yes, I can say that because I am one), otherwise there would have been no need to change.

Given all that I agree with copz1998, if you have no issues you may as well stay with ATT.  However if you have any issues with ATT, talk to the TM store sales/tech support people and see what you think.  You can probably run both systems as a trial if they both have trial periods.  Give it a shot and let us know what you find.

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

I concur with LetMeIn, I have had no issues with TMI. I like the price lock (coming from Comcast who raised pricing annually). 

Userlevel 2
Badge

Though DSL is reliable, I’m getting 350 to 450 mbps on ™ vs 30 mbps on DSL.  During peak use, at 7 PM, it drops to 200 mbps. We stream multiple programs at the same time.  DSL was fine before we switched from satellite to streaming.

I just think that ATT is really gouging its DSL customers with constant price increases on DSL.  Just jumped again to $ 75.  That’s for 30 mbps.

I’m staying with ATT for cellular.  After the recent blackout. I’m afraid of being cut off if I have everything with ™. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

@sliderule43 , there is something to be said for redundancy. If you have two services (phone and Internet) with separate providers, the likelihood of both going down simultaneously is unlikely. However, I do enjoy a terrific discount having both phone and home internet with T-Mobile. In 6-months I have had zero phone issues.