Home Internet Overheating

Show first post

31 replies

I have my home internet and it gets extremely hot why is that

Userlevel 2
Badge

I understand. Many have commented on it and I haven't read them all. I was just thanking you for bringing my own attention to it and for posting a particularly cogent description. Cheers!

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

@Farjohn I just replied to your other thread and referenced my own before noticing you had posted here first.  :)  I don’t want to take credit for discovering the heat issue.  Someone else mentioned it on another thread and referenced a thread on Reddit which is where I first saw the suggestion.

Userlevel 2
Badge

@jlillard I’ve created a new discussion on the heating issue you steered me to at

I Thought I’d post it under your thread as others might look here. Thank you for first tipping us off on the thermal connection.

Userlevel 2
Badge

@jlillard, I didn't phrase that well and see no edit function here. Rather than pushing the hardware at higher speeds being a “symptom” of a heat issue, what I meant to say was that if the gateway performs better/longer when you offload some function like wi-fi routing or slow down the data transfer speed, this can be indicative of a heat problem with the hardware.

Userlevel 2
Badge

Jlillard, like you, I've found heat buildup to be a big (and maybe the main) issue. I've posted a description of that on another thread but will paste it below for convenience.  In my case I simply placed the gateway on an A/C vent. To what you've said here, I would add that offloading the wi-fi to a separate router, avoiding 5g speeds, minimizing number of supported devices and concurrent usage, problems during big file transfers, can ALL be symptoms of a thermal problem. Add to that the fact that ambient temperatures are on the rise this time of year and….well you obviously get it. Thank you for posting some of the best info I've seen here. Following is that referenced post:

I think it's a thermal issue, and that's likely why T-Mob hasn't fixed it. My gateway had required a reboot almost daily. It behaved similarly to other accounts here in that my connection speed would drop to almost nothing (say 400kbps down) which to a person used to over 50mbps would look like a hard crash, but I haven't seen that yet. My best speed is 60mbps down and I'm delighted if I can sustain 10. Per speedtest, when the problem manifests I see a slight increase in latency but a massive increase in packet jitter, sometimes approaching a full second. Rebooting the gateway clears this condition. Now, thanks to a couple of astute posts here, I decided to test the heat theory. Placing a hand over the unit during normal operation I didn't detect much heat coming out, but when I placed it over an A/C duct directly beneath the sill it had been on, I felt a gush of almost hot air come out the top. This is extremely suspicious and tells me that the convective cooling the EE's had counted on isnt happening.  My gateway hasnt required a reset since i moved it to the top of that a/c vent 4 days ago. There's probably a good reason the installation manual mentions not placing the gateway in direct sunlight and I wonder if the manual's been edited in that regard. I hope others here will replicate and report the heat test. Perhaps then T-Mob will stop stonewalling this issue.