Home Internet Overheating

Show first post

31 replies

THIS IS HOW I FIXED THE SECONDARY Signal FROM CONSTANTLY DROPPING & ROUTER FREEZING UP.

I have been working with the T-mobile 5G router for 8 months, and have tested three of the Nokia 5G router/modem. All three tested were constantly losing the secondary connection and freezing up, but still showing on the router that it was connected. In your service area there will be T-mobile towers that do not have a 5G connection but do have an LTE. If the LTE connection is stronger on the tower that does not have a 5G connection, then your Nokia Gateway will connect to that tower and drop the secondary connection. Also, you will lose the secondary signal if you are too far from the tower.

HOW TO FIX THE ISSUE:

You will have to add external parabolic antennas to the Nokia Gateway. I added two parabolic antennas and two yagi antennas. Check cellmapper.net for towers in your area.

A simple 120 mm fan with a USB/USB-C adapter and my can is cooling itself.  It no longer gets nearly as warm as it did.  Although I didn’t experience any dropouts I can attribute to heat, I think it’s worth the $20 to improve airflow thru the unit.

This fan https://www.amazon.com/Lyrccoa-Bearings-Receiver-Playstation-Computer/dp/B08K7CVMPQ/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=quiet+120mm+usb+fan&qid=1638418730&sr=8-4

and this adapter https://www.amazon.com/Syntech-Adapter-Thunderbolt-Compatible-MacBook/dp/B07CVX3516/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=USB-C+to+USB+adapter&qid=1638418551&s=electronics&sr=1-3

I have my home internet and it gets extremely hot why is that

Badge

How do you turn off the wifi radio? I don’t see that option in the Tmobile Home Internet app. My device started dropping every day, sometime 2 or 3 times a day and of course Tmobile tells me nothing is wrong. 

It’s only been a few hours, but I moved the gateway to over an air condition vent and I can feel the difference in the temperature of the gateway. I did a reset with the power button after powering it up from the location move. As of this moment my up load and down loads have doubled. I will keep up dates as how this continues.

Badge

Thanks for the advice and fan options. I was willing to try anything to be able to keep the T-mobile service, and not go crawling back to my cable internet provider, so I bought the $20 two-fan combo from Amazon and used a stand I got for $2.45 on clearance from Monoprice, that was made to hold an Amazon Echo, but makes a great platform for the Gateway device, and put on fan on top and one on the bottom, with plenty of air space underneath and above.

I did all that on 1/20 and now it’s 2/2, so it’s been nearly two weeks, and I haven’t had any internet outages, or slow-downs as I was having before, so I hope this will continue. I don’t know if it’s the fans, or the “working on the nearby tower” that I was told by customer service that is being completed, but I will take all the help I can get.