Question

Home Internet Pros/Cons/Enhancements

• 2 January 2023
  • 1 reply

Badge

Pros

TM5G router penetrates the house (2 floors) further than the old Xfinity router was able to

Download speeds are comparable - happy here

Cons

App is very buggy, hit and miss connecting.  Deleting app and reinstalling seems best way to go but even this is not guaranteed, and I can live with this for now

Suggested enhancements (similar to Xfinity app)

Remote access to the router

Some form of built-in basic firewall /av and alerts

Devices to show ip addresses for LAN connections (does show for anything connected wireless)

Ability to change NetBios names in Devices tab

Alerts when a new device connects to your network

Ability to group devices and profile users

Untested

Only been online with the new router for a week now but have high hopes and over-all very pleased so far.  Not sure how the router will stand up to being online 24/7 / weather, but I will update in a month or so.

1 reply

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

Good luck with all that! The Arcadyan KVD21 5G Gateway is basically not configurable. No NAT, no UPnP, no external antenna, no web interface, no way to manage a LAN connection.

I am not a gamer so some of these issues don't affect me. I too switched from Xfinity and I'm very pleased with T-Mobile Home Internet. The speeds are less than I got with Xfinity, but they're still plenty fast for my uses and the difference in cost is dramatic.

I agree with you that a web interface to configure the gateway would be really helpful, but I think T-Mobile really wanted to err on the side of simplicity and make setting up the Arcadyan KVD21 5G Gateway as easy as possible for the most possible users.