Question

Home Internet Speed

• 30 December 2022
  • 6 replies

Badge

I use YouTube TV as my provider and I stream through Roku devices on all my TVs. I have had T-MOBILE home internet since June 2022 and I have been trying really hard to like it. I love sports, so I am constantly watching live games. The picture quality is so fuzzy most of the times through out the games it is not worth watching. My Roku keeps giving me error code 018 for Internet speed being to slow. My internet download speed is 1 Mbps on my Roku. Does anyone else have this issue? I have contacted support multiple times and our troubleshooting my work a day and then it goes right back to having a bad picture quality.

6 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

1 Mbps is way too slow to stream TV. I also have YouTube TV and use it via and Apple TV 4K device and don't have any issues other than the well known one of audio lag. I'm connected to 4G only and get download speeds of between 50 mbps up to 70 Mbps. 

If it were me, and 1 Mbps is the best I could do, I'd return the TMHI gateway and look for another solution. Streaming OTA for Internet requires a reasonable signal strength, and from the sound of it, T-Mobile is unable to supply you with that performance.

Badge

I totally agree! Thank you for your feedback. 

I just got T-mobile gateway internet.  My old XP Dell computer did not even see the wireless signal.  I hooked the old netgear wireless router that I used with Spectrum internet to the gateway via LAN line and my old computer got that signal and the internet worked.  Then while connected to the gateway wireless my rokus were buffering on youtubetv while my phone did not.  So I connected the rokus to the old net gear wireless signal I had setup for my computer and the down load rate increased from 1 to 4 mbps to 6 to 14 mabps. No more buffering on rokus

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

@Tlaney0978, if all your devices are connected to your router's Wi-Fi and your 5G gateway's Wi-Fi is unused, you might want to consider disabling it.  I did it using a script a Nater Tater video recommended, but I believe it can also be done more simply with the Hint Control app 

Only my roku's and old computer using the old router, everything else (phones, smart tv's, newer computers) working fine on the gateway wireless signal.

I currently have t mobile gateway home internet and I'm impressed.  I use 5 TV, 3 laptops, my son PS5, PS4, 3 firesticks, my printers, and my wife cricket machine on my internet. My son live on that PS5 and and I watch live TV on my firestick all day. I have not had any problems with my internet.  I did a speed test and I have gotten speeds from 300 to 569 mbps. I have had this for about 6 months or so and everything is great about it. I only am getting about half the strength of the 5G service, so I'm kind of curious what the unit can do with all the bars. This internet is totally unlimited.