Question

Home Internet & Wifi calling

Show first post

38 replies

Badge

I see there are no feedback on this question. I have the same concerns even with T-mobile cellular service and the High Speed Home Internet gateway. I cannot set my phone to use WiFi preferred since I switched over. It does allow for the Default which is Cellular preferred.

While that is OK at home where I have decent cell coverage but I don’t know if WiFi calling works or not. When I go  back to work, WiFi Calling is necessary since T-Mobile Cell service does not penetrate buildings very well.

Any feedback from any other HI users? Thanks!

Badge

Thanks for the quick reply. BW is not my problem. I am getting excellent BW since I upgraded to the Nokia 5G gateway. I don’t this Mesh is also the problem since I don’t use the gateway WiFi. I have all bands SSID disabled. I don’t see any other way to turn off WiFi on that gateway. A single Ethernet cable connects the gateway to my old NetGear RS-7000 router WAN port that is running FreshTomato software.

On the Internet side, everything seems running OK. Both my work and personal VPNs are working. Roku, Amazon FireTV & Netflix are all streaming. Even PLEX from my home based Synology server are streaming fine. So far, so good.

The only issue so far is WiFi-Calling and Group MMS under Signal. I’m not even sure if the cause is Signal side or the recipient’s phones. Looking for more information to help me debug.

Thanks again.

Badge

Syaoran,

Could I ask your experience on how you are handling ipv6 on your Ausus routers? This is a concern to me that that the HS-Internet Gateway only deals with ipv6 and not combined ipv6/ipv4. I don’t have a lot of experience with setting ipv6 on my router side so I have it Disabled. Regardless, all my devices are working at this point.

I am still researching how to setup ipv6 handling on my FreshTomato router side.

Thanks for your advice.

Badge

Rookie,

I assume that you turned off the wifi on the T-Mobile router because the limited interface didn’t give you any way to secure it (disable uPnP, etc.)  This does not sound like a rookie to me.

PhilEsterhouse

We’ve got the Arkadyan and have the same wifi calling problems. I’ve also had problems with Webex meetings… after a few minutes, noone can hear me on the call. I’ve resorted to disabling wifi calling on our phones, disabling wifi on our phones, and only using the webex app on my phone. Sounds like it’s happening across multiple different models of gateway, so I’d guess that firmware’s not going to solve it. 

If anyone finds a solution to this problem, please post it for the rest of us. Thanks.

Seems like we have an issue similar to the above.

We have T Mobile Home Internet and all our phones use T Mobile sim cards and were purchased at the T Mobile store.  Our T Mobile Home Internet gateway is the Sagemcom device.  When inside our home, our phones only have one bar of signal clarity.  So the WiFi Calling feature is something we desperately need.  I have tried countless ways to get WiFi calling to work.  I have reset our phones, and the Sagemcom.  But each time we try to make a WiFi call, we get the message “No Network Connection.  Connect to a WiFi network” even though it is clearly connected to the Sagemcom WiFi.  

I also switched out our Sagemcom with the Nokia gateway, after reading that the Nokia might be better.   I used the sim card from the Sagemcom and the Nokia gateway worked great.  But still had the exact same WiFi calling troubles.    

However, the one ray of hope I have is that WiFi calling somehow does work on one phone: a Samsung Galaxy S22.  When I set it to Airplane Mode and WiFi Calling On, it can send and receive calls with no issue.  Clear calls!  So nice!  It is the only Andriod phone we have.  The rest of our phones are iPhones from new to old.  So now am thinking this is an issue somewhere between iOS and T-Mobile Home Internet.  Has anyone seen something similar?  

I’ve called T-Mobile a number of times, each time getting a different response (ranging from apparently supportive to astonishingly uneducated).  So I’m not convinced T Mobile is taking this seriously or has an active project to study and resolve.  I appreciate all the comments above, which gives me a sense that we are not alone in this concern.  We love TMHI, but not having WiFi calling, something that should be basic, is causing us to think about other options.  

So, according to the TMO website, I see that a new Sagemcom Firmware version, 1.2.74 is available. They say it’s a stages rollout and I haven’t been updated yet. I’m hoping this addresses the problem. If any of you guys have it installed (check your app), please let us know if this Firmware update fixed the WiFi calling problem. Thanks.

Userlevel 1
Badge

Yes does not work.  I have tmobile as a carrier on my phones and tmobile home internet… can’t call with wifi calling.  I called tech support and they were working with me but they did not get a setup and try it themselves. 

What did work is if i connect to the wifi with my old google pixel 4a then via hotspot attach to the pixel 4a then I can call over wifi.  I can use wifi calling with every other wifi I have tried…. Cox and Century link.  NO problems with either with the same phone (pixel 6A).  Also my kids cannot wifi call with tmobile home internet on apple 11’s and 14.

This is a big issue…. they need to first admit there is a problem then they need to fix.

I don't know but, it sounds logical. I read somewhere that upon powering up their Gateway for the first time, it immediately installed an update to the latest firmware. I don't know if that would happen on a factory reset. If you try it, let us know the results. Thanks.

Sadly no dice on the factory reset...I even left it for a few hours while I went out to dinner before going through the setup on the app. Looks like the only way to get the update is to patiently wait or get on the phone and hope you get a rep that’s willing to manually push the update to your gateway.

I am experiencing the same issue with my AT&T iPhone 13 Pro Max.  I have the T-Mobile 5g home internet gateway, with “the latest” firmware for it.  When I do speed tests from my phone I Wi-Fi- I test at 300mbps download and 50mbps upload.  

When my Wi-Fi calling is on (since my AT&T phone signal is only 1 or 2 bars I my area), I can make and receive phone calls… but the calls ALWAYS drop randomly… and also- when attempting to send texts messages with AND without pictures…. I sometimes have to retry- because it fails the first couple of tries. 

It happens A LOT more frequently on my Wife’s AT&T iPhone XR… 

Any idea of a setting / fix for this? 

Thanks for trying and for letting us know. I don’t know why they’re dragging this out. There can’t be that many of this new model out there to bog down their server….unless they want to make sure the update doesn’t break anything before pushing it out to everyone.