Question

How stop 5G gateway dropping WiFi devices?

• 3 January 2023
  • 2 replies

Badge

I had zero problems with my CenturyLink DSL modem. Replaced it with T-Mobile 5G gateway to eliminate the wire into the house that could be cut. But this T-Mobile gateway randomly drops any one of my WiFi devices: cell phone, security hub, either one of security cameras, Ooma VOIP, Windows laptop. But always only one device gets dropped. So far, never dropped LG TV. 5G signal is Good to Very Good. How do I get T-Mobile 5G home internet to stop dropping WiFi devices?

2 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

Magenta, have you tired creating a new network with WPA/WPA2? It could be that you have a lot of equipment that isn't able to use WPS2/WPA3, the default when you set up your modem? I have over 40 devices on my network, and I don't have a problem with any of them, so it's most likely not T-Mobile but the age and network capabilities of your devices.

Good luck!

Badge

Thanks! T-Mobile support told me to make a 2.4Ghz only network and move everything to it. Currently trying that. WPA vs WPS2 is another thing I can try. Moving everything to a different network is a big chore. Took me an hour to get Ooma working again. I'm still disappointed that CenturyLink modem was plug-n-play while T-Mobile gateway continues droping and me calling tech support. However for phone support, T-Mobile is by far better.