Question

How to improve speed?

• 8 April 2021
  • 7 replies

Badge

We were told we would get 750-1 gig internet. We only get around 300. Is there any configuration we could do to improve it? I have moved it around the house.

7 replies

Badge

I wish I could get 300 mbps but my upload is trash most of the time, I want to live stream to twitch and youtube but I need 6mb+ of upload. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

I have had my Nokia 5G21 for a couple of days here in Riverside, CA and the speed is all over the place. As high as 35 mbs down with 10 mbs up, and a low of 5 mbs down with 1 mbs up. I always have 3 bars and only get 4g.

Badge

Wow. A gig. I was barely promised 25mb/s and that was only after I pestered the sales agent for 20 minutes about expected speeds. I’m getting 1.8mb/s down and 0.03mb/s up btw. I’m extremely frustrated.

Badge

WoW! That would be excellent, however, I’d be pumped to get the 300 you’re getting. I was told 30 Mbps, but I’m pretty lucky as I typically average between 100 Mbps to 130 Mbps on the LTE gateway. I’m still waiting for the 5G upgrade.

I try to keep in mind that the system, compared to other providers, is very new so it’s likely the best is yet to come.

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

Make sure to test to areas where you are actually sending/receiving data.  Sites like Speedtest.net by default are trying to find locations close to you with the best initial ping results.  It is not necessarily a fair representation of where you are actually reaching out to for your daily driving on the web.

For example, mine hits the Charlotte area because I am in the Carolinas.  My games and streaming service CDN’s are NOT hosted there.  When I test out to the regions where the Blizzard, Bungie, Square-Enix, etc. servers are hosted--I get considerably different results.  Often times BETTER because the Charlotte area is prone to congestion issues (why TWC/Spectrum routed us through Raleigh and not Charlotte).

If you do such testing and notice a very dramatic difference, pass this info on to support.  It may be evidence of local backhaul or other peering issues that need to be addressed at a higher tier (the problem may actually involve a third party partner).

Just as an example, here are some results from some tests done close together in my history:

11228943298.png

11228950776.png

Notice how the one all the way up in Montreal faired better than the one that was just 50 miles away that Speedtest defaults to.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

If you are getting a consistent 300Mbps down, consider yourself fortunate. I am please with anything over 30Mbps (Some days around 100Mbps)as I moved from a DSL line of 1.5Mbps down and 0.28 Up. (And that was advertised not actual.) If you are finding you need more speed than 300Mbps, I would recommend a fiber connection.

Userlevel 1
Badge

WOW!  That was a crazy claim they told you.  Most folks are not even getting the 300Mbps you are.  I was told 30Mbps but I routinely get double that.  

I have seen some big numbers, but never 1Gbps.

Keep us posted. :-)