I cannot access my job's VPN from home

• 8 January 2021
  • 54 replies

Show first post

54 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

IPv4 address availability is a big issue, which is why the world is going to v6 addressing. At one time, T-Mobile offered an unlimited data add-on called “VPN Total Internet” which provided a real IPv4 address, albeit firewalled. This hasn’t been available for some time.  All T-Mobile IPv4 connections are heavily NATed and firewalled. 

However, I can connect to my home OpenVPN server using an OpenVPN client app on my phone. It just took some fiddling with the settings. I suggest you get with your IT folks and have them diagnose the connection IRT.

Badge

I have a similar but different problem. Like you, i also have a company provided laptop and a vpn client. but my problem is dns resolution fails while on the vpn. luckily i hadn’t shut off my cricket data plan yet so i’m just able to route traffic from my work machine to the cricket modem only, rather than letting the bonding router handle failover/load balancing like it does for all other traffic. i also had difficulty staying connected on ps5 to online games, so i routed that traffic through the cricket modem as well. 

@leechat Please do share the solution once you have found it.  It’s good to have someone motivated to reach out and get this resolved.  I’m having very similar issues.  Everything works wonderfully except the one thing I really, really need.  My organization has us connecting from home using Cisco AOVPN.  I’ve never had trouble connecting regardless of the source of the Wi-Fi, but it’s like this thing is redirecting port 443 to never never land.  :(

Userlevel 1
Badge

ipv4 is very limited so t-mobile uses CGN (you share the same ip with multiple people) so strict firewall + double nat - no port forwarding at all. Ask IT guy if vpn is ipv6 and ask him to try switching between udp/tcp