I was skeptical, but a fan does seem to help

• 30 August 2021
  • 27 replies

Show first post

27 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

007BondMI6 - I had a support call with T-Mobile and they confirmed the location of the tower my router links into. I went to Google Earth and confirmed what I suspected and then used my T-Mobile iPhone 12 in field test mode to confirm the PCI reporting. Both the router and the phone did agree on the 4G LTE and 5G NR PCI reporting. I tried the OpenSignal application on the phone due to a suggestion but found it to be 4G only and a 4 year old application. There are also some cellular locator apps for Android and I believe the Samsung phones in effect can provide the same sort of information. For me I was determined to nail down the tower location as I have been considering a 2x2 MIMO external YAGI antenna to make the solution better. With at least a $300-350 investment I will take the time to get it right. If I can place the T-Mobile router better for improved WIFI spread and get cellular signals better without having to invest on both sides that will be a win. So far the WIFI here has been good. OK, so my MacBook Pro antenna sort of stinks but a 50 foot CAT 6 cable has solved that issue. Trying to monitor the router with the web UI over the wireless with the MacBook was frustrating. On the wire, good. I just go with the flow and bend in the wind.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

I agree with the shelf and the restriction upon the location of the router you have little to no wiggle room. That is one of my bigger disappointments with the solution is that the location of the router is so critical for reception of signal. Heat can be an issue where optimal location results in conflict with the ambient temperature. I still have to wonder if there are some of the Nokia routers that are more prone to over temp issues due to hardware and a manufacturing anomaly. I have an early revision of the router from when I joined the BETA program. (3TG00739AAAA)  When there was a good bit of conversations about temperature and the router operations I did put my router out on the back porch on a 90 degree day and it kept on working and threw no alarms. Maybe I just am fortunate to have one that does not have heat issues.  If people with temperature issues contributed hardware revision information and other factors and a relationship could be identified that could make a difference. The fact that they did not incorporate a fan into the design where heat is generated seems to be a mistake to me. Passive cooling appears to be insufficient for some users. I am fortunate to have been able to get an improved traffic flow with a window on the NE wall where it is a cooler location. Not everyone has the luxury with the Nokia router to be able to avoid heat issues due to the imposed “location” of the router for optimal cellular signal strength and quality.