Solved

Internet gateway

• 14 December 2022
  • 13 replies

Badge

Will the internet gateway support my current land line. At present the land line works fine through Optimum cable modem, will it work through T-Mobile internet gateway.

icon

Best answer by Cali Cat 16 December 2022, 23:08

View original

13 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

What VOIP solution are you using? I have read on this forum of at least one person who was having trouble with Magic Jack.

In theory, it shouldn't be a problem. The good news is that if this is a new installation, you have two weeks to try it out before you have to commit to your first month’s charges.

Badge

I am not using any VOIP solution or product (Magic Jack etc.). My land line is connected to Optimum cable modem, and it works fine. I want to know how my land line will work with T-Mobile internet gateway.

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

If you have your phone plugged into your Optimum cable modem, you are using VOIP. 

Badge

Interesting. My land line was with ATT then I switched it over to Optimum. I do not remember what Optimum did to convert it to VOIP, I am presuming that ATT land line was not VOIP it was copper wire.

If I am on VOIP then how to I connect my land line through T-Mobile internet gateway. If I get a RJ45 to RJ11 jack converter and plug my land line into the internet gateway, will it work.

Badge

T-Mobile technical support team member said that my phone needs to support IPv6 for it to work with T-Mobile internet gateway. How can I confirm whether my phone supports IPv6.

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

Will the internet gateway support my current land line. At present the land line works fine through Optimum cable modem, will it work through T-Mobile internet gateway.

No, there is no phone jack on the TMO internet gateway. If you want to keep your current home “land line”, you will need to buy a VOIP device like Ooma or Magic Jack along with their monthly fees.

Of course you could just cancel your home land line altogether and save a few bucks a month.

Badge

Hi Cali,

Thanks for the clarification. My current land line is connected directly to the Optimum cable modem and it works fine. T-Mobile internet gateway has a RJ45 jack, I can buy a RJ45 male to RJ11 female (phone line jack) adapter/converter and them plug my land line into T-Mobile internet gateway. I believe it should work.

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

Hi Cali,

Thanks for the clarification. My current land line is connected directly to the Optimum cable modem and it works fine. T-Mobile internet gateway has a RJ45 jack, I can buy a RJ45 male to RJ11 female (phone line jack) adapter/converter and them plug my land line into T-Mobile internet gateway. I believe it should work.

No it will not work, there is no voice service on TMO home internet. It is data only. Yes, it does have a SIM with a phone number but that is only because the data is via cell service which must have a phone number. The RJ45 jacks are only for wired ethernet connections. You have to use a VOIP device like I suggested above.

Badge

Again, thanks for further details and clarification. In that case i rather port my land line number to Google Voice and buy a one time device Obihai OBi200 1-Port VoIP Adapter with Google Voice.

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

Again, thanks for further details and clarification. In that case i rather port my land line number to Google Voice and buy a one time device Obihai OBi200 1-Port VoIP Adapter with Google Voice.

Before you do, I would check with here or TMO support to make sure it’s compatible with TMO home internet. The routers are not configurable beyond basic wifi settings. TMO promotes Ooma for $9.95 per month so pretty sure Ooma works.

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

I agree with Cali Cat. Get an Ooma gateway and plug that into your TMHI gateway. You can easily have your existing number ported to Ooma. Back in the day when I had a land line, I ported my AT&T land line to Ooma with no problem.

Otherwise, do what many of us have done: cancel your land line and simply use cell service. I have to believe that if you have enough bandwidth to run a TMHI gateway, you have enough cell signal for an iPhone or Android-based phone.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

We have an Obi202 (2-line version) working fine with the T-Mobile Nokia gateway and Google Voice.

However, it should be noted that Polycom (the company that bought Obihai) will no longer be supporting the devices after 12/18/23. The devices should continue to work, but if Google makes a change to their service that requires a firmware update to the device (this happened a couple years ago), the service might stop working. At that point, if you still want to use the obi200, you would likely have to use one of the paid services that are still compatible with the device (like Anveo).

Userlevel 2
Badge +2

Magicjack worked for 25 days and then after I successfully ported my number for $20 charge we started having issues with incoming callers not being able to hear us. We have full duplex calls on outgoing & with incoming calls we can hear caller but they can not hear us..What is bizarre is that if the incoming caller is on landline phone (business) or ATT then we have duplex audio, but if it anyone of my 10 T-Mobile lines then the inbound T-Mobile phone can not hear the Magicjack home phone.

Trouble shooting with Magicjack has had me replace the device (same issue with 2nd unit) . They want me to disable SIP ALG & open ports 5060-5070, but you can not make these changes on Arkadyan or any TMHI gateway. 

T-Mobile officially promotes ooma , and reading forums hear & on reddit,  unless you are going to run a 2nd router with VPN service all VOIP solutions other than Ooma seems problematic. 

Based upon my experience & those of others , we felt we had no other choice than going with Ooma .