Question

Internet Gateway DHCP/DNS Address Settings

• 11 August 2021
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge

Recently received the home internet gateway, the tubular one. I would like to change the default DHCP settings to a different network. More importantly I want to use the OpenDNS or Cloudflare DNS for all of my devices. It doesn’t appear we can make these changes. We should at least be able to use a different DNS. Anyone have info on this? Thanks.

7 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

The gateway has very limited options.

As for DNS you can change that on your devices and yes since you cannot change it on the gateway you have to change it on all the devices.

I am sure if they wanted to expose the setting they could but seems they have opted for a very limited array of settings.

As for changing the DHCP your only options that I know of is to install another router that lets you make the change and then you are stuck with double NAT but it is what it is.

Again not sure why they opted for so little options maybe to keep it simple during roll out. Some of the limites are due to IPV6 and that is coming to everyone but they seem to have opted in early.

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

The real problem for me is that t-mobile’s DNS blocks things like plex.direct domain lookups that return an internal IP address. I get that it is for ‘security’ but that should be a changeable option. 

I put another router behind the t-mobile gateway and only run IPv4. That router has dns settings and dhcp settings so I can get my network correct. My router allows for IPv6 passthrough but then most devices then use T-mobile’s IPv6 DNS servers, again with the same problem. 

So yes please, can we change the DHCP settings as well as the upstream DNS server?

I honestly thought I was blanking a piece of the instructions or was in the wrong spot when trying to configure the gateway. Sucks to see it really is limited like this. 

Tmobile: Why do you limit the one ISP router that actually has the capability being amazing?? I really do love it and it would seem like an insult to connect a Google Wifi to it. Any plans to change this soon or should I just the G-Fi out of storage ?

I am having issues configuring the Smart dns proxy with the Home internet gateway with its limited capability. Can someone please help how do I add a router behind the gateway to change the dhcp setting?

Badge

I haven’t bothered with the network settings up until now, because I had no problems, but… Today my desktop could NOT connect to several sites and they all showed a version of the “Your connection is not private” or “Can’t establish a secure connection to the server” error. It was mostly on sites like Facebook, Twitter, etc., but I knew all those certificates were not expired or forged, and I had no problem on my tablet or phone, just my desktop, and it was on every browser I tried: Safari, Chrome, Firefox, Opera. I deleted caches and cookies and even dumped DNS caches using Terminal, restarted the computer, and the problem persisted. I then went into the network settings and changed from my custom settings to just “Automatic”. I don’t know if that is what eventually worked, or the other things I did in tandem, but now I see some things I would like some clarity on:

I see now my OpenDNS IP addresses have been changed from 208.67.222.222 · 208.67.220.220, to what seem to be the device settings of: 192.168.12.1 and some long MAC address starting with 2607:fbxxxxxxx, etc. Should I try to go back to my OpenDNS settings, or leave this like it is?

Also, I see that the “Configure IPv6” is now set to “automatically” and before it was set to “Link-local only” Any advice as to what the preferred settings are for these and any other settings in the Network Preferences with this T-Mobile Home Internet gateway?

Userlevel 2
Badge +1

First of all, make sure IPv6 in all your devices. T-Mobile uses an IPv6-only network, and this is the preferred way to connect to sites that are IPv6-enabled. This includes most public sites like FB, Google, etc. Let the computer do IPv6 autoconfiguration.

You can switch your computer’s DNS to OpenDNS, but do make sure that you use OpenDNS’ servers for both IPv4 and IPv6. The instructions on their website should tell you how to do it. I use Cloudflare’s DNS service for all my desktop computers and I haven’t had any issues.
Hope this helps!

Userlevel 2
Badge

+1 - open up the DNS settings!