Question

Internet Gateway Feature Questions

• 10 November 2022
  • 2 replies

Badge

I swapped my cable mode system for this gateway for better speed and it’s actually cheaper. but I’m having some issues and I wonder if it’s lack of functionality of the gateway:

1. I have a DNS name so I can access my home systems while traveling. This doesn’t seem to work. I can do a nslookup of my domain name, but can’t connect to it or even ping it.
  2. I’m having ftp issues when trying to connect to external servers. Mainly times outs, but the speeds are all excellent.
  3. Due to #1 I can’t VPN into my home router and get onto my systems

I simply replaced the old cable modem with the gateway connecting my home router with all wifi configured into the LAN port. Internal network at home I have no issues as wifi didn’t change. It’s just external access seems not work.

I called support and ended educating them on DNS and VPN access. The person seems to thing I was traveling further than 12feet rom the modem when try to get external access?? They told me it’s not really a support ticket but a feature ticket and they would let engineering consider it.

This seems a bit odd that this gateway is not up to par with decade old cable modems. Either there is configuration settings in the gateway that I  cant get to, or this is a cheap home internet box.

Any one else have these issues or know of work around?

2 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

Not exactly sure how your network is setup but perhaps the following information may help you troubleshoot:

1. TMO home internet router public IP address is dynamic and not static. It can change daily or even hourly depending on the amount of cell data traffic in your area.
  2. The IPV6 address works best.
Badge

Thanks.

I know the ip is dynamic , that’s why I have a DNS entry at no-ip.org to always point to whatever IP they have changed it to. But it looks like the DNS is not getting updated, or not quickly enough,

The Google “show my ip address” lists different external ip address that  the no-ip.org address at times. Also I can’t ping the ip address that “show my ip address” is listing.

I’ll look into IPv6 

Thanks