Internet only account is a disappointment

• 15 March 2023
  • 4 replies

Badge

I just cancelled my Internet-only account because it’s a joke. After the allotted data, it goes to a crawl. It cannot even compete with the 56K modem in the 90’s. I switched to Xfinity for now.

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

I thought of doing a test drive but with my wife working from home I decided to reup with Cox Cable for $65 a month for 2 years.

Badge

Good decision. I had a prepaid Internet only account with 40 gig at $50 per 30 days and using a Cudy cellular modem. In less than a month, my wife and I used up the allotted 40 gig! Then unbearable crawling and tricling data.. I was so disappointed and cancelled right away after I signed up with Xfinity for 200 gig at $30 per month (NOT per 30 days like the prepaid T-mobile).

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

You must have had one of the “lite” accounts that are capped at 100GBs high speed data transfer. That limit is easy to hit in a few days if you watch movies in 4K, as I do.  The unlimited plans don’t do that, but they're limited in the number of subscribers allowed in each neighborhood, so as not to overload traffic on a given tower. If unlimited service ever opens ups to you (this can happen after they upgrade towers near you), you wouldn’t have the high speed data caps. But I’ll agree, the Lite plan is primarily for people who need email and light internet browsing.  If you stream much, there’s not much reason to have it.

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

I lived with a 200 gig data-cap for 5 months before I was able to switch to TM 5G Unlimited.  I have two suggestions for living with a a data-cap that makes life more bearable.   The first is to install a good OTA antenna that can receive local channels, and use that (when possible) for TV viewing.  Secondly, YouTube TV has a very helpfull feature that allows you to stream at various resolutions (240p all the way to 4K).  If you sent the resolution to 480p/30 you will consume about 0.6 Gig per hour of viewing….you can watch quite a large amount of TV at that resolution and the picture quality is still pretty reasonable.  By comparison 720P/60 consumes about 1.9 G/hr, and 1080P/60 consumes 3 G/hour.  4K/60 is insane and consumes 16 G/hr.  So use OTA when you can, stream mostly at 480p, and save the high-def stuff for special-occasion movies or sports and you can live with a data-cap.