Solved

iPad problems with T-Mobile Internet

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Has T-Mobile addressed the disconnect issue with iPads yet?   This is an annoying issue.

icon

Best answer by DaveH 13 April 2023, 20:15

View original

11 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

I'm not sure what you're referring to. I have two iPads and they both operate perfectly with T-Mobile Home Internet. I'm using the Arcadyan KVD21 5G gateway and haven't had the problem you're describing. I’m pretty active on this forum and haven’t heard of a problem with iPads or iPhones. What exactly is happening?

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

Actually many people have posted this problem under other topics.  Some have even bought new iPads and have had the same issue with new iPads.  The connection is still there but data stops transmitting and the iPad locks up using the internet.  Only iPads have this problem.  All my other devices work fine.

I talked to T-Mobile and they admit it’s a known problem with iPads they were addressing.  So anyone that bought new iPads wasted their money doing that.  There is some problem with the built in router of their gateway including the KVD21 which I have.

It disconnects 7 to 8 times a day.  Nothing can be done by the user since it’s their router that is causing this.  Was hoping they’d fix this but I hear nothing but silence from T-Mobile so far.   It appears they did not fully test their systems with all known devices before the roll out.

One work around is to connect one’s own router to the Gateway.  That clears up the issue.  But I don’t want to buy a router or spend time getting it configured with their gateway having limited tech skills.

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

@DaveH, I stand corrected. I can only tell you that I have the Arcadyan KVD21 5G gateway, an iPad Air and an iPad Pro 11” and neither one has any problem connecting to and staying connected to the Internet delivered via the gateway. They are both connected to a combined 2.4/5.0 GHz WiFi signal with WPA2/WPA3 as security. The network is unhidden.

In addition, my wife and I both have iPhones, and again, no problem.

I wish you the best in solving your problem!

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

I think I’ve found the problem.   It’s the plastic iPad case that is interfering with the wifi signal.  I removed my case and went from 7 to 8 lock ups per day to ZERO for 48 hours.

I cut most of the back of the case out just leaving the bumper around the iPad edges.  So far seems OK.

Something so stupid to cause such a problem.  Plus why make cases that block wifi signals?  Bad design, surely there is material that is neutral to wifi signals.  So far have not found one advertising itself this way.  More then likely each iPad generation has a different antennae location so one case my work and another won’t depending on the generation.  Mine is the 9th.

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

Is this an Apple case or a third-party? BTW, VERY good detective work, my friend!

I am at the point where I may need to go back to spectrum. All of my iOS devices work fine including my wife’s old iPad. It is the new one and the one I returned that were constantly dropping wifi. 

I love T-Mobile but shocking that this has not yet been resolved. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

@Mm44mm44, my wife has a new iPad Air with an Apple keyboard case, and there are no problems with dropouts or any other connectivity problems. I can't say what it is that’s causing the problem(s), but my instinct is that it's not T-Mobile. This is especially true since all of your other devices are connecting correctly.

I have standard iPads. The old models connect perfectly 

Both new models-non air models go through this daily. 
I am open to thoughts and ideas but the proof is in the pudding. Unfortunately. 

I agree with all of the comments. I do not think it is T-Mobile as there are 4 iPhone in the house and then are not dropping Wi-Fi. I use ,y iPhone for a good connect.

Userlevel 1
Badge +1

I have noticed this problem with my 2 new iPads ( 9th generation) when they are connected to the 5GHZ band only. I have created separate 2.4 and 5 GHZ bands because some older devices wouldn’t connect until I did this.  If I connect the iPads to the 2.4 band it never disconnects. Interestingly, my iPhone 10S stays connected to the 5 GHZ band with no issues as well as my Apple TV.

I too have noticed this problem on both of my iPads (6 Generation) not staying connected to the T-Mobile Nokia 5G21 Gateway. it is only an iPad issue, both iPhone have ever had an issue. I did notice over time it did not matter if I was connected to 2.4 or 5GHZ band , however it only lost connection after closing the cover shutting down the iPad. To reconnect I simply need to turn the Wi-Fi off and back on to get it reconnected. 
I think I found the problem.  When first setting up the gateway I created a SID: xxxx-111 and then created a 5GHZ SID: xxxx-111-5G. I did not realize the system automatically had created both 2.4 and 5GHZ SID for the xxx-111 SID originally created. Once I deleted the 5GHZ xxx-111 SID all the problems have gone away.  So I would suggest two separate SIDs with different names one for 2.4GHZ and one for 5GHZ . Also confirm you do not have a duplicate SID name for both GHZ bands. This may be worth a look!