Question

Jitter too high for VoIP to work

• 4 November 2023
  • 4 replies

Badge

I just switched from Comcast/Xfinity wired internet to T-Mobile 5G.  The internet appears to work great.  However, the Ooma VoIP phone does not work--incoming calls sound fine, but the person on the other end heard just a garbled mess.  I ran an Ooma speed test on the T-Mobile internet and the upload and download speeds are more than fine, but the jitter is typically 50-80 ms--much higher than is acceptable for VoIP.  Is there any way to reduce the jitter, or do I conclude that I can’t use VoIP with this internet?

4 replies

When prompted for a provider name for T-Mobile Wi-Fi service what is the provider of T-Mobile because when I put T-Mobile it is not in the provider list 

Badge

Prompted by whom?  Ooma explicitly said that its phones work with T-Mobile 5G home internet, but apparently they don’t.

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

I don’t know if you noticed this, but other folks are complaining about your exact same problem when trying to make calls over WiFi directly.  So it could be a bigger issue….if so, maybe there is a fix coming.

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

@amkelley, I don’t have the Ooma VoIP phone and I am not familiar with it’s setup. I have a Grandstream HT801 ATA set up for Callcentric VoIP phone service. 

I’ve had TMO HI for the last 10 months and I haven’t had any issues with my phone calls. My download/upload speeds are typically 50/8 Mbps and my ping/jitter around 35/10 ms. The Grandstream ATA  is connected to my Arcadyan KVD21 5G gateway.

I see that my jitter is somewhat less than yours, but I just wanted to point out that VoIP can work with TMO HI.