Question

KVD21 gateway - Wi-Fi 4 (802.11n) when connected with the 2.4 Ghz band?

• 8 January 2023
  • 2 replies

Badge

Why does my KVD21 gateway select Wi-Fi 4 (802.11n) when it connects with the 2.4 Ghz band?   Wi-Fi 4 only supports 72 Mb/sec download speed.  The 5 Ghz band with Wi-Fi 5 (802.11ac) supports up to 433 Mb/sec download speed?  Do the Nokia trashcan and the Sagemcon also do this?  

There are many knowledgeable people here who probably can explain this.

Any other KVD21 gateway users experience this?  Curiosity more than anything since most of my devices use the 2.4 Ghz band.  My Windows 11 desktop PC and smartphone are able to connect and use the 5 Ghz band.  My smart TVs cannot because the KVD21 always (so far) selects a DFS channel which the TVs can’t access.

2 replies

Badge

I found the answer for the 2.4 Ghz band.  The network adapter for my cheapo HP pc is only capable of this speed for this band.  To get quicker speeds I need a better adapter which I ordered two days ago from CDW.  

My current network adapter tops out at 433 Mbps with the 5 Ghz band which is adequate for my needs.  Hopefully the Wi-Fi 6 adapter I bought will be equal to or better than that.

To anybody who downvotes me I hope it’s not because I called the Nokia a trashcan.  This is what it’s commonly called on one of the subreddits.  No offense to those who were sent that unit.  I was sent a brand new KVD21.  So far so good.

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

I also own the Arcadyan KVD21 5G Gateway. Unfortunately, my gateway will only connect to 4G LTE even though there is 5G available on the tower I connect through. I get three bars and anywhere between 50-70 Mbps download. That’s plenty to run the 40-some devices I have connected to the Internet, including 3 Macs, 2 iPhones, 2 iPads, 3 TVs (all streaming), 2 printers, and a myriad of Amazon Echos and their associated devices.

Every single one connected without an issue except the Epson printer. Once I cancelled the existing network configuration on the printer and reestablished the connection to the new gateway, it behaved as expected.

All I can say is that my experience with T-Mobile Home Internet has been positive and if it remains as reliable as it is now, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to anyone.