Question

Massive fluctuation of internet speed

• 17 August 2023
  • 7 replies

Badge

Our home internet fluctuates from  0.44mbps to 200+mbps . 

This is an example of a good day. The fluctuations are steadily getting worse. I my opinion T-Mobile has oversold there ability to supply a steady internet signal. T-Mobile just keeps say it congestion which seems to me the same thing I am saying, they have more customers than they can supply internet to. Plus there's no rhyme or reason to the fluctuation.

Is anything being done to fix this or do I need to move on to a different way of getting the internet. What we have now is almost useless.

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

You may also want to check on the ‘best’ location for your device with the T-Mobile app.

The ‘Advanced Metrics’ will give some details.  Whether its signal deterioration , or just network deprioritization, the result is poor connection.  One can be fixed by moving your device … the other cannot.

Badge

The device is placed in the best place possible. When our internet is working it is blistering fast to us that live in the middle of no where. We have speeds over 200mbps on a regular basis. Here's todays speeds its been a good day so far. We had a low of 55mbps an average of 194mbps and a hi of 219. The problem is at any moment we could drop to single digits and bounce around from there. Or just loose it completely.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

I guess another question is… how far away are you from a TMobile tower, and are there any things that canblock signal?  Eg.  With my cellphone in another place,  the tower is 10miles away. On lte i can get better than 50Mbps when i can physically see the mountain top.  When there are clouds/fog, signal can drop.  Trees, buildings,  etc all do the same.  Where i am, im 1200’ away, with some trees, so signal os good, but would be better with clear.line of site.

Top is n41, bottom is n71. 

Badge

I would have thought if something was blocking the signal I wouldn't have 175mbps 3/4”s of the time. If something is blocking the signal, then somethings in the way all the time. I believe T-Mobile has oversold their ability to supply a steady internet signal. The more time that goes by the worse my speed fluctuates. The one thing that made the biggest difference is when I put the device on a ledge outside of a window that has a 2 ft over hang and is 20 feet up in the air. That at least made it where I could get a descent signal. T-Mobile says they do not have a exterior device, maybe they need one. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

This depends on what ive mentioned.   Use cellmapper to try and determine where the tower is… in my case, moving my device outdoors adds another 50 to 100Mbps.However ,  due to trees and buildings,  if i move parallel tonthe tower, the signal/speed is worse.  There is a thread about external ports on new TMobile Home internet devices that support antenna.   Similarly,  Nater Tater has a YouTube video on this, and the antenna that works with current devices (case needs to be opened on those).

Badge

T-Mobile hasn’t said anything about an antenna, and I have asked them if they offered an antenna and they said no. I’m going to check this out.

Userlevel 7
Badge +11

https://www.waveform.com/a/b/guides/hotspots/t-mobile-5g-gateway-arcadyan

https://tmo.report/2023/06/t-mobile-has-two-new-home-internet-gateways-in-the-pipeline-heres-what-we-know/