NAT/forwarding issues while gaming/streaming

Show first post

30 replies

A "specific question" was answered. And that's how to (paraphrasing here) work around the problem. If you honestly think that you will find a "fix" for a cellular data connection not giving you a static IPv4 connection... Then I don't know what to tell you. In my honest opinion, workarounds are the only absolute thing you've got right now. Go call the FCC and tell them how butthurt you are. 

You're the one butthurt about people replying to you. Next time don't create a whole forum if people may experience the same problems as you bozo.

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

Would need a third party service that will allow you to forward packets back to your local router/devices.

Nater Tater has a YT video up about a reverse proxy tou can set up... there are other similar products with varying degrees of complexity to set up.

A more straight forward approach may be a VPN service that allows port forwarding.

There is the dedicated approach for gaming like WTFast that have been built into some routers (lime Asus, and they may support Netgear too?)... but those often tend to be limited a their own list of supported games (though, they do cover the more popular ones out there).

There is a "normal" VPN though, Windscribe, that you can set up to "reserve" an IP (not permanently, it will still renew and rotate periodically, but with much longer leases).  It allows you to assign up to 10 ports to forward.  Got to Features,, then click the link about static IP's to readout on it all..

They also provide scripts for installing the service on personal routers (with a supported OS like Tomato, DDWRT, Merlin, etc. that can also be installed on consumer brands like Netgear, Linksys, and Asus, among others) so your whole network can take advantage of it (like consoles, streaming boxes, etc.).  Nite that the cost will vary  depending on how you set up the IP reservation... it costs more to have access to more locations, etc. so you will want to read up on it all.

Go through all the options thoroughly if you want to go down this path.  It is going to cost extra, and want to make sure you understand what you are getting into up front.

Having the same issue with the new sagecom 5688 gateway I hope the come up with some kind of update for it.

Badge

I called and they said they couldn’t change the NAT and there was nothing I could do. 

Userlevel 3
Badge +2

Yep, same here.  One of my devices cannot connect to the cloud and I talked to Tech Support, answer is that they ‘may’ do something about it in the future.  I have a work order to end my TMO Home Internet at the end of this billing period.  I guess TMO is looking to capture just the low hanging fruit for now.