NAT/forwarding issues while gaming/streaming

Show first post

30 replies

But... are those ports truly opening for full peer-to-peer traffic?  As in, can unsolicited inbound traffic get through?

That is the true root of the problem... not just whether UPnP or manual port forwarding can be setup locally on the router.  There needs to be the ability to have unsolicited inbound traffic from the edge of their network all the way to and through your modem.

As in, if you were to use port probing tools at the likes of speedguide.net or grc.com's shields up! tests and verify supposedly open ports are actually open to your forward facing IPv4 address.

To date, their network topology above the modems has been breaking such peering traffic, regardless of whether our local routers appeared to be opening ports locally.  Sure, consoles and the like may report less restrictive NAT and such... but when the truly unsolicited peering traffic needs to come in, things still failed to work properly.

They fixed MY problem, which was inability to game on certain p2p games, or stream. I gave specific information to technical support, and all of my problems disappeared. 

I gave my experience. Good luck with yours.

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

But... are those ports truly opening for full peer-to-peer traffic?  As in, can unsolicited inbound traffic get through?

That is the true root of the problem... not just whether UPnP or manual port forwarding can be setup locally on the router.  There needs to be the ability to have unsolicited inbound traffic from the edge of their network all the way to and through your modem.

As in, if you were to use port probing tools at the likes of speedguide.net or grc.com's shields up! tests and verify supposedly open ports are actually open to your forward facing IPv4 address.

To date, their network topology above the modems has been breaking such peering traffic, regardless of whether our local routers appeared to be opening ports locally.  Sure, consoles and the like may report less restrictive NAT and such... but when the truly unsolicited peering traffic needs to come in, things still failed to work properly.

Just letting everyone who reads this know that my issue is resolved. A firmware update recently released (this last weekend) has fixed this problem. If you're running into this same issue (can't game or stream) just call customer support, I'd request tech support. I spoke directly to a software engineer after speaking to a manager about my issue.

I don't have the ability to port forward manually just yet, however, while gaming most of my problems have been solved. They have opened up certain ports to allow streaming content and open communication on services like Xbox live, etc. My NAT is also changed from strict levels to moderate levels, with no drawbacks on hosting.  I can enjoy this as if it was regular cable internet.

I'm glad I didn't have to toss this service.

Did you receive the black cube gateway which is the Arcadyan one? It has been a rumor that a major firmware update is on the way so you could very well receive an early beta version. Please keep us up to date on this.

Yes, I have the model KVD21.

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

Did you receive the black cube gateway which is the Arcadyan one? It has been a rumor that a major firmware update is on the way so you could very well receive an early beta version. Please keep us up to date on this.