No more auto pay discount? No Customer Service contact?

Userlevel 2
Badge

I recently tried to update my auto-pay, and was unable to. Apparently, T-Mobile no longer takes credit cards and won’t take my new card, and is saying they’re taking away the auto-pay discount unless you use a debit card. I tried to contact T-Mobile, but they were closed. I went to send an email or message and found they do not allow that and have no email address available for customers. I use my credit card for all auto-payments, and I particularly liked T-Mobile for their customer service. However, since they will no longer accept my payments and I have no way of contacting them or sending a message, I’m planning on switching to another provider and will likely move my internet too. I’m surprised they don’t take normal payments anymore and want to fee people more, those were things that used to make them stand out from the others.Sad day, goodbye T-Mobile, it was a fun run while you were good.

29 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Even with Tmobile taking away the auto pay for credit card my bill is still cheaper than if I were to switch carriers.

I read that on reddit a little while ago and switched my auto-pay to my ATM card, which is credit/debit. I’m still getting a discount. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

I'm still using my credit card you just don't get the discount.

Badge +1

I was told that they’re trying to avoid paying the fee credit cards charge them for their usage. I would never give any business access to my debit card or banking info!

I wonder if other providers will follow T-Mobile’s lead?

BTW, You can still use your credit card, but not for autopay..

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

I'm on autopay and it still works you just don't get the discount.

Userlevel 1
Badge

I recently tried to update my auto-pay, and was unable to. Apparently, T-Mobile no longer takes credit cards and won’t take my new card, and is saying they’re taking away the auto-pay discount unless you use a debit card. I tried to contact T-Mobile, but they were closed. I went to send an email or message and found they do not allow that and have no email address available for customers. I use my credit card for all auto-payments, and I particularly liked T-Mobile for their customer service. However, since they will no longer accept my payments and I have no way of contacting them or sending a message, I’m planning on switching to another provider and will likely move my internet too. I’m surprised they don’t take normal payments anymore and want to fee people more, those were things that used to make them stand out from the others.Sad day, goodbye T-Mobile, it was a fun run while you were good.

I am not the only one, I witness.

Mint Mobile may be the solution if T-mobile has grown too quickly. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Tmobile is in the process of buying Mint mobile BTW.

Userlevel 1

Yes I called tmoble today regarding taking away discount.  They say people were disputing credit cards and not paying.  I told her I was not doing this.  No way am I giving bank info.  Plus dont like them having access through debit.  Let them send me paper billing again.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Yes I called tmoble today regarding taking away discount.  They say people were disputing credit cards and not paying.  I told her I was not doing this.  No way am I giving bank info.  Plus dont like them having access through debit.  Let them send me paper billing again.

You can still pay with a credit card. It's a shame if that's why Tmobile is ditching autopay on credit cards because customers are disputing their bills.

Userlevel 1

You can still pay with a credit card. It's a shame if that's why Tmobile is ditching autopay on credit cards because customers are disputing their bills.

Im gonna take auto pay away.  Let them waste money sending me a bill again.  Lol

Userlevel 2

Taking the credit card and offering the autopay discount was a big part of the sales pitch and agreement.

This is just wrong and should be challenged.

They should not be allowed to make the change until your existing contract is up.

T-Mobile is far too much of a security risk to trust them with your debit card or bank account.

Basically they breaking an agreement and stealing $15 a month from customers.

This should be a class action suit or they should offer to let customers out of the agreement that they are changing.

Userlevel 2

Customers are right to be worried. Just this week T-Mobile had their 2nd data breach of 2023. It affected just over 800 customers, while their previous data breach in January affected around 37 million. Overall, there’s been at least 8 data breaches since 2018.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Customers are right to be worried. Just this week T-Mobile had their 2nd data breach of 2023. It affected just over 800 customers, while their previous data breach in January affected around 37 million. Overall, there’s been at least 8 data breaches since 2018.

Do a Google search and Verizon and AT&T gets hacked also as well as other companies that stores customer data.

Userlevel 6
Badge +9

I recently tried to update my auto-pay, and was unable to. Apparently, T-Mobile no longer takes credit cards and won’t take my new card, and is saying they’re taking away the auto-pay discount unless you use a debit card.

It appears it has been established that T-Mobile has removed the discount on using credit cards on autopay.

But, has T-Mobile also removed the ability to use a credit card on autopay?

I currently have a credit card on autopay, but what will happen when I need to update the credit card, either through change in credit card, or updating the expiration date?

Userlevel 2
Badge

Tmobile is in the process of buying Mint mobile BTW.

I just filed an FCC Complaint. It's easy and one way or another we will get heard.

Userlevel 2
Badge

I'd suggest an FCC complaint like I just did.

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

Good Luck with the FCC complaint…  They are the wrong Alphabet to talk to.  Also Discounts discontinuing the FTC will do nothing about as this has been happening for decades...

Userlevel 2
Badge

Hi tidbits.

You're right. But I think of it as an irritant vs an allergic life threatening reaction; one ant bite vs a million ant bites. One ant bite, you can brush off, a million ant bites can make you back off. I'm on this forum to learn so that I can take some sort of action; not simply to vent or make a point. One FCC complaint will be brushed off, even laughed at by T-Mobile and by the FCC. Thousands should get both of their attention by becoming a disruption to their eveyday operations in turn costing money.  An FCC complaint takes a fraction of the time to submit than most of the excellently reasoned posts, including yours, that I've read here. One more ant comparison... Have you ever seen hundreds of ants dragging a gigantic insect?

Allowing auto pay on credit card makes Tmobile pay fees to the credit cards, diluting their profits and gosh we can’t have a big corporation not maximizing every possible profit motive now can we?  /s

Taking away the credit card auto-pay discount increases my monthly bill 30% due to multiple lines.  There’s no way I’m giving them access to my bank account or debit card.  I’ll be switching carriers.

I totally agree. T-Mobile's has had at least four data breaches that were made public and the first one landed all my personal information on the dark web according to my online ID  security report.

What people don't realize is the debit cards are not as safe as a credit card because they are non-disputable if your account is breached as compared to a credit card where your bank account is secured through the bank in the bank is responsible for protecting your money.

I've been with T-Mobile for over 8 years and pay for four phones and their home internet and have never missed a payment with auto pay. My previous provider was Sprint and it was two years of hell. Drop calls missed calls ridiculously long waits on their support line minimally at 40 minutes and sometimes getting dropped off and having to start over again. I went to T-Mobile as a test and found that they had great service for my location. 

Up until recently a call to support was picked up in less than 3 minutes but several calls I've made in the last month took over 30 minutes to get a live agent

When they decided to absorb Sprint I was concerned that they were going to go downhill and I'm kind of surprised it took this long! t

Havings this account for so long, 8+ years, My plan is extremely economical and has been grandfathered in at the initial rate but their rules are if I make a change I have to pay the higher current rates for my phones so this payment penalty increases my bill 20%.

If you don't make any account changes their policy claims that the monthly payment varies only by changes for taxes which are just pennies. But in this situation they are not honoring their own contract agreement.

Everyone should file a complaint online with the Federal Communications Commission FCC claiming breach of contract and with that and a sizable number of subscribers leaving it may get their attention but that will take time and their reputation will be tarnished.

Finally, Don't make the mistake of giving them access to your bank account or you may have more problems than you can imagine with their history of security compromises. 

Userlevel 2
Badge

I totally agree. A bombarding of complaints will get their attention (and the FCC's too). That's why I didn't overthink it and filed the complaint. It's simple and only takes minutes. Lots of FCC complaints filed combined with the loss of clients will undoubtedly make a difference. It will also make it very costly to implement and will draw attention to all of their data breaches. They are not prepared to handle customer's bank accounts. The "uncarrier" has damaged its own reputation. It only took one act of greed.

Userlevel 6
Badge +12

I totally agree. A bombarding of complaints will get their attention (and the FCC's too). That's why I didn't overthink it and filed the complaint. It's simple and only takes minutes. Lots of FCC complaints filed combined with the loss of clients will undoubtedly make a difference. It will also make it very costly to implement and will draw attention to all of their data breaches. They are not prepared to handle customer's bank accounts. The "uncarrier" has damaged its own reputation. It only took one act of greed.

AS I SAID BEFORE… WRONG PLACE…  FTC is where YOU WANT TO THEM…  FCC will just throw them away.  It isn’t going to cost them money.

FTC will not spend a lot of time on discounts being taken away as there is NO LEGAL standing for the FTC to stop discounts from going away…  You guys are just wasting time and if that makes you feel better have at it.    All the FTC will do is look at it see if there is standing if not they’ll throw it away regardless of how many people complain about it.  T-Mobile wouldn’t even be notified of them.

Those are just the data breaches they’ve disclosed. In light of that, there is no way in hell I would give them my debit card or access to my bank account. Both credit cards and debit cards charge merchants a fee for transactions and I guarantee that fee does not equal the $5 a line they want to charge.  I’ve been with them for about 24 years so for now, I’ll keep my service but I will only pay with a credit card. At least my card issuer still gives me points.

Userlevel 7
Badge +14

Those are just the data breaches they’ve disclosed. In light of that, there is no way in hell I would give them my debit card or access to my bank account. Both credit cards and debit cards charge merchants a fee for transactions and I guarantee that fee does not equal the $5 a line they want to charge.  I’ve been with them for about 24 years so for now, I’ll keep my service but I will only pay with a credit card. At least my card issuer still gives me points.

It's a credit not a charge. Your rate plan stays the same just the credits goes away if you pay with a credit card.