Question

nokia 5g21 overheating

• 9 September 2023
  • 4 replies

Badge

I rec’d my 1st 5g21 in June 2021 and it workd fine for several months. Then it started dropping the network randiomy.  Eventually T mobile sent me a new 5g21 and it has worked great for approx 6 months.

Now its dropping the network EVERY evening after watching a baseball game and then TRYING to watch a movie, first I get the spinning wheel several times and then it drops out completly. If I can connect my phone and speedtest quick enough, the test shows 1 mbs before it drops.

At first just a simple power off/on seemed to fix it, but now I have to leave it off for several mintues and then speeds creep back up to 30 mbs or so.

I turned off the 5G21 this morning for an hour and then the speed was 346 mbs.

Seems like a heat problem again and I have seen the cooling fan “fixes” on the forum, BUT why shoud I have to pay for the “fix”.  T Mobile must be aware of the problem...Why don’t they help us?

Note… I primariy use LAN cables and the 5g21 wi fi radios are disabled (using a Netgear router as a WiFi access point for phone and printers), also, I have update 1.2204.01.0101 which disables the battery.

Originally I contacted T mobile via the CHAT line, but now I can’t seem to find it.  Any suggestions on how to get to the E-mail or chat line?  I am very hard of hearing and voice phone is not going to work.

4 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

@Chaelie, I understand your frustration but I would like to make you aware of the $12.00 fan that I got to cool my Arcadyan KDV21 gateway - also with wireless disabled and using a router 

AC Infinity MULTIFAN S1, Quiet 80mm USB Fan

https://a.co/d/2tyDAT4 

Userlevel 6
Badge +9

Seems like a heat problem again and I have seen the cooling fan “fixes” on the forum, BUT why should I have to pay for the “fix”.

To me, it was worth spending under $20 to buy an USB fan to keep my gateway cool, rather than dealing with shipping and receiving various gateways.  I also vacuum the gateway every couple of months to keep the dust down.

Badge

Up date on my post 12 days ago…

Added the cooling fan as other users suggested, no help, still failed three more times.

Called T-mobile help line again, and the rep said she would send me a new type gateway and this one would have the WPS button.

Two days later rec’d a well used Nokia 5g21 again, it had same hardware and software version as the one I just removed.

Installed it Saturday morning, tested speed around 260mbs, ran fine all day.  Sunday morning it dropped the internet again.  And I was still using the fan.   Note- this is my 3rd Nokia 5g21.

Did not receive a new type dateway as promised, Is T-mobile ignoring me? Hoping I will go away.

Badge

My 3rd Nokia 5g21 Has been installed for 2 weeks, WITH the cooling fan.

Dropped connection on the 2nd day, reset it, and ran for a week without any problems. 

During the past week it slowed down and I got the spinning wheel on various occasions, but it recovered

by itself. The recover was slow, the TV screen was fuzzy for a few minutes but gradually improved to 

a clear pricture.

Last night it dropped completly and it took two power off/on sequence to get it going again.

The local T Mobile store said they would replace it with one that has a WPS button.

My question now is...has anyone rec’d any of the new Gateways? and do they really work?