Nokia gateway firmware version history

Badge

Is there any published history that shows when new firmware versions were released? I have been experiencing unusual instability for a week or two now and I can see version is: 1.2204.01.0101 and think this might have been released quite recently.

But because the unit is poorly designed I can’t tell exactly when that version was actually installed. So I’d like to know when it was made available and perhaps see if this is the cause.

The system reboots periodically because each time there’s an outage the uptime starts at 0 again.

I’d like to revert to the prior firmware version but of course that’s not supported either nor is there any way to manually install it, hugely amateurish design.

I see there’s now a newer gateway too, different brand, can I get an upgrade from T-Mobile?

Thanks

11 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +1

It’s been at least a month since my Nokia was updated to the latest firmware. Not sure how slowly they roll them out, so it’s certainly possible yours was more recently updated. I haven’t had any issues though.

As far as “upgrading” you may or may not be better off. Your issues might be related to the towers/traffic in your area and not the firmware upgrade, so swapping won’t solve that. And, there’s some mixed feedback on whether the newer gateways are an improvement or not. 

One thing to note is that with the other gateways, everything has to be controlled via the T-Mobile Home Internet app. The Nokia still has some limited options via the admin web page.

You’ll have to reach out to T-Mobile and tell them your issues. They’ll probably tell you they are working on the towers in your area (whether they are or not) and might make you jump through hoops to get a replacement. Not sure if they are doing swaps at T-Mobile stores. Note that I have no experience in this matter, but reflecting what others have mentioned on the site.

Badge

Well there’s some very odd things going on here. First the modem is rebooting, restarting, every time I lose connectivity and it returns, the uptime has been restarted from 0. I do not expect that unit to restart itself just because some comms interruption, losing and reconnecting does not require the device to completely restart like that.

Second, this seems to be always triggered when I visit Facebook, crazy but true it seems. It can be up and working fine for hours then if I visit facebook.com the connection goes pretty quickly and we get another reboot.

I’m an experienced software developer and worked with these kinds of technologies for years, an auto reboot is not something I’d expect to see here (unless it is not rebooting and the uptime simply refers to the actual connection uptime but with no technical documentation its very hard to say).

Userlevel 6
Badge +9

this seems to be always triggered when I visit Facebook, crazy but true it seems. It can be up and working fine for hours then if I visit facebook.com the connection goes pretty quickly and we get another reboot.

The Nokia gateway apparently is known to overheat, and reboot.  Maybe loading Facebook with all its graphics and such, is pushing the Nokia to its edge of functionality.

One possible solution, is to place a computer fan underneath or above the Nokia gateway to provide air flow, cooling it off.

Badge

this seems to be always triggered when I visit Facebook, crazy but true it seems. It can be up and working fine for hours then if I visit facebook.com the connection goes pretty quickly and we get another reboot.

The Nokia gateway apparently is known to overheat, and reboot.  Maybe loading Facebook with all its graphics and such, is pushing the Nokia to its edge of functionality.

One possible solution, is to place a computer fan underneath or above the Nokia gateway to provide air flow, cooling it off.

Well I’ve had this setup for over a year and although it can sometime lose connectivity a few times per day it isn’t every day. The pattern I see now has just started happening, no real change in my internet habits at all. The facebook thing could be a red herring, it just seems to be playing a role but I can’t be certain.

But for a week or so the service has been very very poor, like ten twenty times or more within a day, it was never this bad. 

If I could reinstall the previous firmware I could quickly prove if that is the cause, this would be good for me and for Nokia and others but this device is poor, very inflexible and very weak in terms of its metrics and error reporting.

If these people designed this well it would be easy to tell the difference between a firmware initiated reboot/bug and the simple loss of contact with the remote 5G tower/infrastructure, it should be easy to distinguish these but the design is crap.

This kind of cutting corners is getting more and more common and even led to the loss of life in the recent Titan fiasco, shoddy design, cavalier testing and specifications, totally sub standard.

I have another internet service we rely on for TV (because the TMobile is a bit unreliable) it is much lower data rates, ADSL over the Century Link phone line and the detailed metrics and counters in that modem’s design is astonishing by comparison, very well designed.

It is easy to see if an issue is due to remote end, line issues, local issues or device just crashing/rebooting, with the Nokia gateway there is no way to tell, just guess all the time.

Badge

This is appalling quality and design. I have no idea why the device is restarting and that’s because the device’s software/firmware is so poor that it doesn’t log problems. I just have no idea if the cause is the remote 5G comms infrastructure or the device or a flaw in the latest firmware.

There’s no documentation either that can explain under what circumstances the device will automatically restart. 

I can’t even see how many times it has rebooted or a recent list of the past four or five reboots, this is just terrible. As an experienced software engineer myself I am stunned that they would design a system so poorly, these kinds of diagnostic features are not only helpful to customers but also to support staff and to the software testers.

I may have to dump T-Mobile.

Badge

And look at this video too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iI93RLTwemo

I mean they introduce a new gateway then don’t explain how to get it and the tech support staff he spoke to tried to discourage him from using the new gateway!

What kind of company acts like this? how EXACTLY are people expected to acquire this newer gateway???

Userlevel 6
Badge +9

This is appalling quality and design. I have no idea why the device is restarting and that’s because the device’s software/firmware is so poor that it doesn’t log problems.

Have you actually tried cooling the gateway as suggested, before continuing your rants?

Badge

Also I just learned of the newer Sagemcom gateway - how come there’s no discussions about this here?

Badge

This is appalling quality and design. I have no idea why the device is restarting and that’s because the device’s software/firmware is so poor that it doesn’t log problems.

Have you actually tried cooling the gateway as suggested, before continuing your rants?

No. The gateway has worked pretty well for over a year so that rules out overheating as a cause. This is a sudden degradation and seems to coincide with the most recent firmware update. If I could revert that and go back to the previous firmware then I could prove once and for all that it is the latest firmware BUT there’s no way to do that.

Also if the device has a max temp then the firmware should log it when it reboots for that reason rather than burdening customers to do ridiculous experiments.

If you want to regard my posts as “ranting” then go right ahead, I really don’t care. I’m paying money for a service that I am no longer getting, of course I’m gonna be pissed.

Badge

So here’s more about Sagemcom, kind of explains why its not being discussed much!

https://tmo.report/2023/02/bad-firmware-update-bricks-over-30k-t-mobile-home-internet-modems/

So that’s likely cost Tmobile tens of millions of dollars. This is why it is in their interest to have the firmware support a revert option. They could have removed the problem update so its no longer available, then have affected customers do a firmware revert and all would have been fine. Then just release a newer update that doesn’t brick the devices and all good.

This cost cutting and corner cutting costs money and (in the case of submersibles - lives)

Is there any published history that shows when new firmware versions were released? I have been experiencing unusual instability for a week or two now and I can see version is: 1.2204.01.0101 and think this might have been released quite recently.

But because the unit is poorly designed I can’t tell exactly when that version was actually installed. So I’d like to know when it was made available and perhaps see if this is the cause.

The system reboots periodically because each time there’s an outage the uptime starts at 0 again.

I’d like to revert to the prior firmware version but of course that’s not supported either nor is there any way to manually install it, hugely amateurish design.

I see there’s now a newer gateway too, different brand, can I get an upgrade from T-Mobile?

Thanks

i would just suggest buying the newer one off eBay's bc i asked t mobile if we could get the newer black one and they said no to me bc we have the same issue before but they sent us out a new one i swapped sims into the new one havent had any more issues but the new black ones are cheap and i will include a link from ebay bc they cheap and once you get the new one just take the sims card out its at the bottom one screw is holding it in and then put it in the newer one https://www.ebay.com/itm/115930001057?hash=item1afdf76ea1:g:YU8AAOSw2HJlGXYl&amdata=enc%3AAQAIAAAA8KYqa8dYWHGAmDEm52wsKxrzOYJy2ORdGFKJQ6f7JP0%2FTUtYrt4857mNZqcecKCf5byfPn2tcwXokgy%2FRZiU5709I%2FWM1rtV%2FbSS8MXwqMuOuxlP9E5FcILG%2BQ8y32YtViJW5Az5RNf6Tx9%2FZg4QsmD85K6IC2XYAA4TRZy2p7OkGMIEzpOT2rHMbrsPDOQTtvNS8%2BYwUmA7KVwbG2WeGzau25HJcEZnmzaRs9fAjCVRBAMjLg4MAVNn3HWlWp1zLUAEJ14nGv5cZEfwZ5PWKReherTsgxk0lP2FtDSAiQ1ECkAaYCaVJZ27oZhDOhzcMA%3D%3D%7Ctkp%3ABFBM7ISi191i theres the link and its brand new and its doesnt have to be unlocked to use it since its t mobile anyways but hope this helps