Question

Really Slow internet

• 19 September 2023
  • 2 replies

Badge

For some reason my router thinks i like in Los Angeles, CA and is going all the way there and back to Nashville, TN (where i really live) to provide me interenet which is likely the reason for my slow speeds. How can i resolve this? 

2 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

@Skitty,   ”...which is likely the reason for my slow speeds. How can i resolve this?”

It’s my understanding that the reason is because of the location of your IP address. It is not the reason of your slow internet.  The signal to your TMO 5G gateway is coming from the closest TMO cell tower. You could try to get better speeds by experimenting with placing your TMO 5G gateway in different locations in your house. There might be a spot where you get a stronger signal from the cell tower.

I live in Vermont, but my IP address is in East Providence, RI - and, occasionally, in Baltimore, MD, Washington, DC, Philadelphia, PA, …. But, wherever it is, it does not affect my internet speed.

Badge

I live in Tennessee which we can 

@Skitty,   ”...which is likely the reason for my slow speeds. How can i resolve this?”

It’s my understanding that the reason is because of the location of your IP address. It is not the reason of your slow internet.  The signal to your TMO 5G gateway is coming from the closest TMO cell tower. You could try to get better speeds by experimenting with placing your TMO 5G gateway in different locations in your house. There might be a spot where you get a stronger signal from the cell tower.

I live in Vermont, but my IP address is in East Providence, RI - and, occasionally, in Baltimore, MD, Washington, DC, Philadelphia, PA, …. But, wherever it is, it does not affect my internet speed.

I live in Tennessee which is no where near California. I fixed that problem with a simple factory reset though but now my router cuts out every few ours and if i’m lucky i can reconnect but if not i have to factory reset it again. This really isn’t the most ideal situation.