Question

recent tower upgrade. need to know bands.

• 12 April 2023
  • 1 reply

Badge

Recent tower upgrade from a Sprint Tower in East Texas. 5G Home Internet now works but bands 2 and 66 apparently just fade throughout the day. Starts out as signal 1 on the Nokia 5G21 at -99 RSRP and it fades to -118. That's either B2 or B66. It will then just drop completely and then signal 1 will switch to B71 with good signal but the data speeds are crap at below 5Mbps.

When I've got good B2 or B66 and signal 2 is N41 or N71 I'll get nearly 200Mbps down and 20Mbps up..

Do I need to fork over $1500 for a tower, directional cellular antenna with booster to fix this??

1 reply

Userlevel 5
Badge +8

@TexasRebel the good thing is that the cell tower received some improvements. Hopefully you can make use of the improvements. 

If you used the Placement Assistant in the T-Mobile Internet app, it will help you position your gateway in the best possible location with your cell tower. Maybe retest the Placement Assistant after the upgrades? 

Otherwise, if you feel confident, you can do like I did and purchase a 4x4 MIMO antenna for $300-400 and mount it in your attic, pointing towards your cell tower. After I did it, my speeds never dropped below 100Mbps. You can use the Nader Tader instructions for your Nokia gateway: 

Good luck!