Solved

Simple Plug In Extender for 5G Gateway

• 20 December 2022
  • 12 replies

Badge

Is there a simple plug in extender that will help my T mobile Gateway extend my internet downstairs. I'm not an expert so was just hoping there is a plug and play type extender. Thanks

icon

Best answer by bocaboy2591 20 December 2022, 18:37

View original

12 replies

Can get something like this... 

https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-Extender-RE700X-Beamforming-Compatible/dp/B09V455KZ2

But keep in mind you're halving your speeds doing it wirelessly. Your best bet if at all possible is if you can drop an Ethernet cable from the gateway to downstairs and plug it into the extender. You then set up the extender as an access point. Then you're good to go. 

I would imagine during congestive times, using the wireless extender would be excruciatingly painful. 

Whether you have a closet over another closet or just a wall with a straight shot down to a wall below. You could just setup an Ethernet cable between two single gang hookups for a nice clean setup. If you have a closet or other enclosed area you don't mind drilling a hole in the wall and ceiling and just drop a patch cable down between the two. 

Userlevel 1
Badge

Can use the powerline to do this : 

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=ethernet+over+powerline&i=electronics&crid=HMK25QRY052I&sprefix=ethernet+over%2Celectronics%2C145&ref=nb_sb_ss_ts-doa-p_5_13

Or Use a coax cable :

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=ethernet+over+coax+adapter&i=electronics&crid=3DNJ2SZFP8OZN&sprefix=ethernet+over+coa%2Celectronics%2C137&ref=nb_sb_ss_ts-doa-p_2_17

Badge

Can get something like this... 

https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-Extender-RE700X-Beamforming-Compatible/dp/B09V455KZ2

But keep in mind you're halving your speeds doing it wirelessly. Your best bet if at all possible is if you can drop an Ethernet cable from the gateway to downstairs and plug it into the extender. You then set up the extender as an access point. Then you're good to go. 

I would imagine during congestive times, using the wireless extender would be excruciatingly painful. 

Whether you have a closet over another closet or just a wall with a straight shot down to a wall below. You could just setup an Ethernet cable between two single gang hookups for a nice clean setup. If you have a closet or other enclosed area you don't mind drilling a hole in the wall and ceiling and just drop a patch cable down between the two. 

Thank you, that’s good info. I may be able to do that with two closets - but doesn’t the Gateway need to be in the open? How about the extender? Would it work in a closet?

If you don’t mind my asking, what are two single gang hookups?

Thanks!

Badge

Those are interesting. And simple. So the signal will travel stronger through the electrical wires than regular signal? Does this set up impact the wireless coverage to the rest of the house?

Sorry to be a bother but there are different price points in this link. What does one look for in order to get the most strength (my son is wanting to play multi player games on his PS 4).

It turns out there are ethernet plug ins by both the router and the downstairs PS4. These were installed by the previous owner 15 years ago. Will that connection and technology work you think? EDIT: one plug is the old phone line and the other is an ethernet.

Thanks!

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

I use a Netgear EX2700 WiFi extender and can tell you it works perfectly with the T-Mobile Arcadyan KVD21 5G Gateway. It's inexpensive and works very well. It is much less expensive than many other solution and, did I say that it works great?

Badge

I use a Netgear EX2700 WiFi extender and can tell you it works perfectly with the T-Mobile Arcadyan KVD21 5G Gateway. It's inexpensive and works very well. It is much less expensive than many other solution and, did I say that it works great?

Thanks! Do you use an ethernet plug in to a device?

Any notice of speeds dropping when doing it wirelessly?

I’m looking to get this this week, this model was available. I’m guessing it’s the same just broader coverage?

NETGEAR WiFi Range Extender EX2800

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

I think either one would work, although the only one I have personal experience with is the EX2700.

It can handle speeds up to 300 Mbps, so it depends on the signal you “feed” it. My experience when I was an Xfinity customer with an 800 Mbps download speed, the EX2700 put out a full 300Mbps and covered the back end of my house which was a dead zone before the installation.

No need to use an Ethernet cable. Put it where it gets a signal from your TMHI and it will rebroadcast it to the area it's covering. It is basically adding an access point.

Good luck!

I’m looking to get this this week, this model was available. I’m guessing it’s the same just broader coverage?

How do I connect my netgear extender 2700 to my T-Mobile home internet 

How do I connect my netgear extender to T-Mobile home internet 

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

There is a discovery/setup routine for the Netgear Extender that you access either through your phone using the Netgear app, or via a web browser. The extender will be wirelessly connected to your primary WiFi network after setup. You can read the instructions for your new extender to see the exact steps for getting started.

During setup, the Netgear will ask you for a name (SSID) for the extended network. You have two choices. You can either give it a new name, e.g., MyNetwork2, or the same name as your primary network. In my case, I had a dead spot in my home where a smart plug and Amazon Echo couldn't “see” the primary WiFi. Since the only reason for the extender was to serve those two devices in that area, I created a second WiFi network on the extender and connected those two devices to the extender. I also hid the extender’s network SSID so that visitors to my home wouldn't inadvertently try and connect to it.

If, however, you intend to have users be able to have a WiFi signal in the area where you're installing the extender, give it the same name and password as your primary network, e.g., MyNetwork. As people roam through your home, they will automatically be transferred to the Netgear extender, then back to the primary network when they leave its coverage.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Just purchased a TP Link RE305 A1200 Wi-Fi Range Extender [under $40].  Setup was a breeze.

Purchased a Netgear EX3700 and could never get it to connect to the T-Mobile 5G Hotspot Router.  I was able to connect it to my backup AT&T DSL router.  Setup was brutal.  Spent several hours trying and re-trying to get it to work with every configuration combination.

How do you connect to Netgear ex5000?