Slow 4G connection only, but only sometimes -- SOLVED

Show first post

53 replies

Badge

I felt like I was in the clutches of telephone companies decades ago, up until I ditched my landline. This is the first time I’m the one doing the clutching, hanging on to this amazing 5G service I get, hoping it continues through the future months and years.

What are you kidding?  Do you repeat that 3 times while clicking your heels together?

Userlevel 5
Badge +5

OK very very interesting thread!!!

Just may have saved T-Mobile a customer.

Several takeaways.

-The download speed you get on your phone in the same spot has nothing to do with what you will get on the can.

-Take all the signal strength, SNR, bars, everything and forget about it as none of it matters.

-Fact you can get better download speed with less bars again forget about them.

I started out in a window that I could see the tower with m eyes. There it is line of site from the window can in that window. Good signal all looks good how can you get any better you can see the tower it’s right there. Crap speed total crap speed was getting ready to send it back and stick with Comcast.

This thread popped up gave it a read yea took a while. Took the can on a UPS with my laptop moved around the house doing just download speed tests. Found several places with good download speed that just did not make sense. Not near a window, tower nowhere in sight, in the middle of a room. Crazy acceptable download speed. Tried several windows with towers not good speed this does not make any sense.

Made a list of places and found that many inside places gave good speeds. In the end put it in the center of my home and it is there now with good speed. Just for giggles I moved it to the window where I can see the tower man it is right there you can see it and 2m download speed total crap. Move it back to the center of my home where I have worse signal, worse readings, less bars, and I get speed.

So now we leave it sit here for a few days, a week, and let’s see how we do. I don't need that much speed just enough to have 2 zoom calls my wife on one me on the other and maybe a kid watching a 4k show.

Again forget bars, signal strength, all that stuff the only thing that matters is speed and you may get that with less bars and worse signal.

Userlevel 7
Badge +8

I tend to agree the download speed of one device or another could have no bearing on the matter. The radios and antenna configurations could be very different the same as drivers etc… but as a reference point for trouble shooting having multiple devices did help here. The reporting by the software and/or the LED panel on top of the Nokia router are not very impressive. The signal strength indicator is just a quick reference so sure it is probably not sufficient. It does take effort and attention to optimize the placement of the router. I would speculate that the current location of the router in the middle of the house may have something to do with the signal bounce off surfaces in the house. It does seem crazy wrong that having it in the window with direct line of sight to the tower would not provide a better reception. It is easy to overlook screens that are not nylon or in one odd case here I discovered my wife and daughter were pulling down the “metal” blind inside the glass door which totally shielded the router. They did it to themselves but did not think about the aluminum blind between the glass when using it to darken the room.