Slow 4G connection only, but only sometimes -- SOLVED

Userlevel 5
Badge +4

I’ve had the T mobile home internet 5G gateway for 6 days now and it has been generally thrilling to get such high speeds after being stuck on a single-digit overpriced DSL connection for 9 years. I often get download speeds of over 100 for long stretches of time, but for me, anything over 50 is great.

So I’ve been reading a lot about this issue of how cellular connections work, since I just got a smartphone only last month. Although I’m not new to computers, and have been doing that for 50 years, starting with programming mainframes in college, but not as a profession. I was also on the internet starting in 1992.

In my rural area I am 5 miles from the only tower I connect to regularly, and have a signal strength of either 2 bars or 3 bars, depending where I place the gateway. I used a free tower mapper app to know I connect to only one tower and find out exactly where it is located so I could better orient the gateway.

However, I connect at three different band combinations, one which is great (over 100 a lot and rarely below 45 or so), one which is fine, (over 100 a lot and never below 30), and one which stinks, with connections between 4 and 20. I’ll speak of download speeds only, but the upload speeds are  good on the two combinations, and bad on the single.

Examining the GUI for the gateway at 192.168.12.1 (URL address), which shows more than the app, I know that my slow connection is a Primary signal only, which means 4G only. The good speeds are both from Primary Signal and Secondary Signal, combos in my case of B2/n41 or B66/n41. That means 5G basically, the non stand-alone pairing of 4G and 5G working together, which is the current state of 5G.

For the first five days as a new user of T mobile home internet, being switched to the slow speed was not a problem. It happened only twice that I know of. I rebooted the gateway and got a faster connection right away. However, today, I got stuck on that slow, halting connection, and rebooted six times and was still on it. What did I do to solve it?

Although it is counterintuitive, because usually higher bars means better connections and faster speeds, but it turns out sometimes not. By simply placing the gateway a few feet from the window, to a place where it gets only 2 bars instead of 3, I was able to connect right away to my fastest speed and remain there for the rest of the day.

Why does it do that? When there is a weaker signal, the gateway sometimes seeks out a better signal at the tower, maybe to compensate for a 2 bar signal? So if you are in a situation where you usually get a good signal, but sometimes get that really slow connection, then you should consider trying to put your gateway in a location where it gets one less bar.

This probably won’t work with everyone, and may not work at all for those of you who know you have never connected at a good speed, and are probably stuck most off the time on the 4G single primary signal. Why? Obstructions maybe, or intense area traffic, although 5G is supposed to handle more connections better than 4G could per tower.

That said, there are instances where people get a faster signal on 4G alone instead of 5G’s non stand-alone connection. But that’s pretty rare.

Setting the gateway where there is a lower signal strength is worth a try though, if you are trying to reboot the gateway for a faster connection that you’ve had in the past, but are stuck on the 4G one time after time.

In the GUI, I use the STATUS category on the left, and then press both drop down arrows next to the Primary and Secondary Signal, and that where you will find what bands you are on.

Here is the T-mobile site’s guide to all the bands. You see how n71 is a low-frequency band? It carries tremendous distances, and some people might get a fast connection on that, but most won’t.

I’d like to know what bands people are on, just out of curiosity, if you care to share. Tell us how far you are from the tower, how many obstructions like hills or buildings (I have few obstructions) and the speeds you get on average. I hope this helps someone. That’s why I wrote it.

5G

• Frequencies that can provide 5G: 

• Band n71 (600 MHz)

• Band n41 (2.5 GHz)

• Band n260 (39 GHz)

• Band n261 (28 GHz)

• With 5G, high amounts of data can be transmitted more efficiently than 4G LTE. 

• One of the ways T-Mobile is rapidly deploying 5G is integrating mid-band 2.5 GHz spectrum from Sprint.

• Check out What is 5G? to learn how it works!

Extended Range 4G LTE

• Frequencies that can provide Extended Range LTE

• Band 12 (700 MHz)

• Band 71 (600 MHz)

• Our Extended Range LTE signal reaches 2X as far and penetrates walls for 4X better coverage in-buildings than ever before.

4G LTE

• Frequencies that can provide LTE:

• Band 2 (1900 MHz)

• Band 5 (850 MHz)

• Band 4 (1700/2100 MHz)

• Band 66 (Extension of band 4 on 1700/2100 MHz).

• 4G LTE offers fast download speeds, up to 50% faster speeds than 3G. See Data speeds.

• Voice and data services only work at the same time when on you have VoLTE enabled on your device. Otherwise, LTE only provides data.

53 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

I'm in S. Floridas where we (supposedly) have 5G UC. I am trying T-Mobile Internet to replace Xfinity, and so far I'm very pleased. The gateway only connects at ~45 mbps via 4G LTE, but the performance is excellent. I don't experience any latency in streaming either video or music. Download speeds are a bit slower, but still very good.

I'm connected to a b66 tower which hasn’t changed all week. 

All in all, based on price and performance, I'm very happy with the service so far. My T-Mobile gateway is a KVD21, the latest one they're sending to customers.

Badge

Just found this post about moving the gateway a little to get less bars, and I've got to say it worked. Moved it about 20 degrees and went to 3 bars from five. Did a quick reset and B2and N41 bands showed up. Went from under 20 Mbps to 120 Mbps. Don't mind doing this onec a day. Thanks for letting us know.

I have been using Tmobile home internet for about 3 years. No problems until June 30 right before the 4th of July holidays. i noticed that my internet connection went to excruciating slow to no internet connection at all! i am about had it with Tmobile home internet. I have been calling customer support to help but to no avail. They gave me a replacement “cylinder” antennae (Nokia) but its the same. It is excruciatingly slow in the daytime and very fast at night between 12 midnight to 6 am. My guess is - there are now a lot of Tmobile Home internet customers/users in my remote small neighborhood and is now congesting the internetwork during the daytime when everyone is on the internet. But i cannot afford to have no internet nowadays!, Ring Cameras (doorbell and Spot Cam), 3 FireTV sticks, Lynksis Cams in my Garage, Smart Lights, Smart speakers - all these will be useless without no internet connectivity! I will try what you suggested - moving it to another place - last try this week and see what happens. (i already tried 3 different rooms in my house) Most likely i will be forced to get back in the more expensive generic fiber company here in our small community - UIA company. :-(