Solved

slow home internet

• 9 July 2023
  • 2 replies

Badge

Been trying out the Home internet for about 5 days now, seems to be very slow, doing speed tests at different times a day and getting between 1.5 and 4.5 mbps.  Once it got over 10. Not very good. I live on the 5th floor and have the gateway as close to the window without being in direct sunlight. Is there something I'm missing? This can't be right,  they claim 72mbps and up?

icon

Best answer by nc1037 10 July 2023, 14:25

View original

2 replies

Go back a few pages to this thread: ‘Suddenly slow home internet’

You’ll find this issue has been going on for awhile and is getting worse. 

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

Less than 10 (less than 72) is not acceptable.  The service might not work for you.  But first you can do some troubleshooting.

Move it around the room, watching the signal strength bars on the front of the gateway.  I don’t know of a direct correlation between the bars and the speed.  From what I have read here, if you have at least Good signal (3 bars) you should be capable of very good speed.  

Check speedtest again, on your phone (connected to your wifi network.)  If it is still sluggish, now you can do some troubleshooting to see if any of your devices are slowing down the network.  Turn off older devices (computers, printers) one at a time.  Power cycle the gateway after each one.   Then measure the speed on your phone.

If you get a big improvement after removing a specific device, you can turn the others back on one at a time.  You don’t need to restart the gateway after each one.  When you are ready to restart the “problem” device, you can add a second network which is the 2.4 GHz band.  This network will be only for those devices that don’t work well on the primary network   I’ll leave the details out for now, but I can elaborate if you want me too. 

On the other hand, if you remove all the devices and you still don’t have acceptable speed, the service might not be right for you.  

Good luck.