Question

Slow Work VPN

• 5 February 2024
  • 2 replies

Badge

I get over 100 mbps on devices in my home but when I use T-Moble 5g home internet for my work laptop which can only connect via VPN, I get under 1 mbps.  If I connect my work laptop in the office to the company network I get 50-60 mbps.   My company IT asked me to connect to my verizon cell phone and I get 3 mbps on the VPN.    I’ve rebooted the router and tried steps that the IT group at work suggested but I cannot get speeds over 1 mbps on my work VPN connecting to my 5g router (either with wi-fi or with ethernet).

I’ve seen other posts on T-Mobile’s website with similar issues.  Is T-Mobile prioritizing web traffic in a way that is hurting my work VPN?

2 replies

I don’t think you can do anything on your end to fix this issue. i believe it is an issue on the T-Mobile internet modem end. I was able to fix it by switch out to a different T-Mobile Gateway.

Did you end up swapping out your gateway? I’m having this exact issue, it started last week for me. When the work’s VPN fires up it slows to a crawl. If that VPN isn’t connected, back to normal speeds.