Question

Streaming network stations on TV

• 13 January 2023
  • 12 replies

Badge

We have TMobile for our phones and internet access and have no problems or delays with our two cell phones or laptop. However, there are frequent interruptions when watching or recording programs on network TV. We subscribe to Hulu for both movie streaming (of which we have no problems) and network stations. Is the hotspot that TMobile offers for $3.75 a month for 24 months useful for improving connections for streaming TV or primarily for cell phone coverage?

12 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

This is from the TM 5G Home Internet FAQ:

Can I use Live TV streaming services?

• T-Mobile Home Internet uses dynamic IP addressing, meaning the customer’s IP address will change over time.
  • Dynamic IP changes may cause the geolocation to show different than the physical location of the gateway.
    • T-Mobile does not have the ability to change IP from dynamic to static.
  • Streaming services that rely on IP address for specific location data to deliver live TV are not compatible with T-Mobile Home Internet. This includes Hulu Live and Sling Live TV.
Userlevel 5
Badge +7

I have the Arcadyan KVD21 5G gateway and use T-Mobile Home Internet to stream all of my TV via Apple TV 4K which is connected to the T-Mobile gateway via Ethernet. We have no problems with Hulu or any other service we subscribe to, including YouTube TV, Netflix, Prime and others. All of our content streams perfectly, with no latency or drop-outs.

What kind of speed are you getting on your connection? I can only connect to the T-Mobile network via 4G LTE and get speeds ~40-70 Mbps. Have you tried connecting your TV to the T-Mobile gateway via Ethernet to see if you get better performance? The FAQ quote above is only true if you're trying to access Hulu, say, from Europe. You should be just fine anywhere in the US.

Are you running a VPN or any other security software that would possibly interfere with your ability to stream?

Userlevel 3
Badge +4

Hulu, Sling TV, Netflix, Prime Video, Apple TV, HBO Max, etc. are all streamable with the Arcadyan KVD21 gateway via Wi-Fi or Ethernet.  What’s not streamable are Hulu Live and Sling Live TV - as explained in the T-Mobile Gateway FAQ and as I was told by the Customer Service Representative when I called last month to sign up for the service.

Userlevel 5
Badge +7

I can tell you that YouTube TV does not have this problem with the Arcadyan KVD21 5G gateway. There is also a nice plus with YTTV in that their scrubbing system (skipping through commercials) is the best of any service.

The only problem with YTTV is that they raised their prices again and are running $77/month, which is just about as much as cable for the same service - other than being aboe to watch it wherever you travel.  Spectrum cuts channels on you when traveling.

I wish HULU would get their act together and let T-Mobile users use their live TV.  Would make it a lot better if there were that competition, which would start ratcheting prices downward.

I just signed up for T-Mobile home internet along with the cell phone service. I too have a problem with watching local channels on sling and was told the same thing. The other problem is that our Vizio 65” tv can not connect to the internet and we have to keep the firestick on to watch anything. I didn’t have that problem with xfinity. The internet was fine on the tv and the fire stick and I could watch my local channels on sling. Now I can not watch local channels and when I hooked up the antenna it didn’t work. I don’t know what to do. I really just want basic cable with my local channels and it will not cost me $50-$70. I was told philo works with T-Mobile but I do not think it has local channels. 

When you say the antenna didn’t work, you mean you couldn’t pick up anything? Did you ever? 
Personally I use an antenna and a Tablo DVR with firesticks on all TVs (tablo sends via wifi to the firestick but works with other devices too). That’s all the locals. Our TVs are “dumb”. This uses zero internet, by the way. We used Philo. It’s good for some of the non-sports cable stuff. 
go on YouTube and look for Antennaman (Tyler the Antennaman). A ton of info on antennas, how to find out what might work, recommendations, mounting, etc.   I know the guy and he’s been to my house, but I’m a ham radio guy and know plenty about antennas and radio/tv signals already. We pay zero for TV right now. Wife likes TV and our study showed almost all “her shows” were network TV which is free with an antenna. I’m sure TMobile appreciates taking the load off their network by customers watching antenna tv, too. (1) Antenna Man - YouTube

The only problem with YTTV is that they raised their prices again and are running $77/month, which is just about as much as cable for the same service - other than being aboe to watch it wherever you travel.  Spectrum cuts channels on you when traveling.

I wish HULU would get their act together and let T-Mobile users use their live TV.  Would make it a lot better if there were that competition, which would start ratcheting prices downward.

YTTV is going to start blocking you from skipping some of the ads on their DVR service. Because they can. 

@Brwnezes6502.Same problem here with Vizio TV, but is resolved now. Signed up for Tmobile internet and disconnected Xfinity/Comcast.  To set up Vizio TV to internet, you need the original Vizio remote. If you cant find it, connect a wired keyboard via usb to the TV. Turn on the TV.Reset the TV by pressing and holding the volume down and input at the same time .Follow the instructions on the screen.   which will include adding your Internet password etc. Buy a universal remote coz your Xfinity remote will not work with the Vizio TV internet (except to turn on and off)

For Hulu Live TV issue, does anyone know if you go into the mesh router settings and mess with the static Ip option does that help. Externally contacting the Hulu server is showing dynamic IPs but is there anyway to help control that? 

Userlevel 4
Badge +5

For Hulu Live TV issue, does anyone know if you go into the mesh router settings and mess with the static Ip option does that help. Externally contacting the Hulu server is showing dynamic IPs but is there anyway to help control that? 

No it’s static only to your LAN (local area network) not the WAN and has no impact on the dynamic public IP address assigned by T-Mobile. Getting the correct local channels will be hit or miss - Hulu Live relies on unreliable IP based geolocation services unless your device has GPS services. In reality, your IP address says nothing about your location and these services are taking a wild guess - some are wilder than others. At the time I tried Hulu live I had no problem with local channels since I was using my phone (Samsung Galaxy) and Samsung Dex to stream to the TV via HDMI. using the Hulu app which relied on the phone’s GPS.

Not sure if that’s still the case, it’s been awhile. I currently use YouTube TV which is a bit more flexible in establishing your proper location if wanting to stream directly from your TV.

Yeah I’ve had to reset with Hulu the location twice this week but they keep giving ideas on how to fix it. Since I understand the overall IP structure now and how it works, unless T-Mobile starts giving out Static IP addresses, Hulu will always be a hit or miss when IP gets reset like a power outage. There really is no work around on this issue. I may have to go back to comcast if I have to call them a third time.