T-Mobile 5G Home Internet censors Bitcoin via throttling

• 29 December 2022
  • 1 reply

Userlevel 4
Badge +4

I am experiencing throttling / internet brown outs on a capable, secure system. I have Tmobile 5G Home Internet handling my home internet and hopefully planned on hosting a lighting node. This is much like owning a wallet, and shouldn't be seen as irregular use, or even seen as business use as it's just a personal wallet for development and education. My issues are not related to hardware or software, and only began since switinching ISPs.

First off, I have limited the bandwidth to 3Mbps down and 0.1 up. Despite this, my whole internet shuts off frequently when the node runs.

Simply put, there are times I am streaming video and suddenly the stream pauses. I understand then that it must be T-mobile throttling my internet, so I try to rush to pause the internet. If I'm too slow, and I can't get to my node before the throttling becomes so extreme, my router will reset thinking the internet has been disconnected, and therefore disconnect and reconnect everything in the house. This has become a frequent problem throughout my education and though I've assured my family that running a Bitcoin node shouldn't affect the reliability of the internet, it has, and it's on the fault of T-mobile aggressive throttling.

My issue is that despite this throttling on my end, limiting my bandwidth to an extreme level on that machine, T-mobile will throttle my whole network until I shut off internet completely to the Bitcoin node. It feels like a form of censorship when shutting off my 3mbps Bitcoin node instantly resumes my 4K 60Hz HDR Stream, and my family doesn't get why it makes no sense but given the differences in data, it doesn't make any sense. The TV that averages 100gb a week has no problems but this node averaging 40gb a week is so aggressively throttled it's seen as a nuisance by all other users of the internet. It makes no sense.

The whole point of the Bitcoin Blockchain is to allow participants to download the ledger and then participate by being a node. T-mobile is coming off as anti-crypto and anti-consumer by limiting my traffic to this extent. I understand I signed up to be rate limited, I understood that my traffic might be monitored more. I didn't expect my daily life to be impacted and to be literally unable to do what I need to. 

I used about 600gb/mo across my whole household and have excellent reception on my 5G Modem. I have isolated the problem to T-mobile as an ISP and how they feel about traffic related to Bitcoin. I would hope we can allow for Bitcoin Core to be allowed by T-mobile 5G Home Internet. That would be a very pro-consumer move. I am interested in Blockchain over 5G cause buzzwords and I'm a nerd, so getting home 5G and running a Bitcoin node was something I really was excited to do as a nerd. It just is a shame I'm having this trouble. Has anyone else tried running Bitcoin or Crypto-related tasks and experiences similar censorship in the form of extreme rate limits? 

1 reply

Userlevel 6
Badge +9

The whole point of the Bitcoin Blockchain is to allow participants to download the ledger and then participate by being a node. T-mobile is coming off as anti-crypto and anti-consumer by limiting my traffic to this extent. I understand I signed up to be rate limited, I understood that my traffic might be monitored more. I didn't expect my daily life to be impacted and to be literally unable to do what I need to.

Maybe against T-Mobile’s Terms and Conditions?

Unless explicitly permitted by your Rate Plan or Data Plan, you are not permitted to use your Device or the Services in a way that we determine:

Uses applications which are designed for unattended use, automatic data feeds, automated machine-to-machine connections, or applications that are used in a way that degrades network capacity or functionality.